Author Topic: Magic Reservior  (Read 2332 times)

Offline CuttemJack

• IceShanty Rookie
Magic Reservior
« on: Jan 01, 2008, 10:54 PM »
I have never fished at Magic but I know in past years people have caught some nice perch there. Has anyone fished there last year with success? While I'm in the area, has anyone been on Mackey and how is the kokanee bite?
Things are a bit slow in my neck of the woods for me at least. Caught 50 very small perch between myself and Wingnutty this morning. None were keepers. I would love a good perch, crappie or bluegill day for a fish fry. ;D
Thanks
Matt

Offline Prophet5150

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Magic Reservior
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:23 AM »
I fish Magic fairly regular, both summer and winter, I just got a report from a reliable      source, and the ice was good, but the Perch were on the small side, but on the up side  the trout were good 16-20in. I havent made it out yet this year but personally I prefer Salmon Dam, for me its a little closer the fish are comparable (more species too!) and the access is alot better too!

Offline CuttemJack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Where is Salmon Dam located? Does it have Crappie or Bluegill? It is fun to fish waters where you don't know what you are going to catch next!! Expecially if you have a bucket full of fat perch already. lol

Offline Prophet5150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:06 AM »
Slamon Dam aka Salmon Falls Res. is about 35-40mi south of Twin Falls, right on the Idaho-Nevada state line, it used to be that it had more species of game fish than any other body of water in Idaho! I dont remember how many it was but their still there! In my limited experience with ice-fishing its mostly trout and perch that I catch, doesnt make any sense to me, but in the summer I catch lots of walleye and bass followed by trout and small perch, but do you think that in the winter I could find the walleye? NO!! I almost drilled all of the ice out of the res. last year trying to find the walleye, I know that they are there, as a matter of fact that is where the state record was caught as well as a couple before that!! I am going to try and get out there Sunday Ill keep you posted, oh by the way I could be wrong but I dont think there are blue-gill in there

Offline CuttemJack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:52 PM »
Walleye!!! Now I'm all over that. I have never had luck with walleye through the ice either but I know that people do catch them. I just watched a show on tv yesterday and they were catching walleye through the ice. I think they were in Canada and I was ready to book a flight.
Good luck on Sunday!!

Offline Dakota Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:47 PM »
Prophet,  How are you trying to catch the eyes on salmon?  I'm from South Dakota and my friends and I target eyes 90% of the time on the ice.  Maybe I could give you some hints.  Tell me a little about how you try for them.  Depth, how far off the bottom your bait is, what you're using for bait, any structure, ect.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.