Idaho > Ice Fishing Idaho

What is everyones take on reel weeds?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Skipper:
My take... ::)

How about finding the structure that already exists.

idahoiceman:
    I agree! Natural structure would be best. However I guess it depends on the body of water you are fishing. Where I was catching the fish last year I don't believe there was any structure. I was fishing for perch on a flat in 28' of water and my sonar was showing nothing for structure. As these perch roam around these flats in schools I just can't help but think that if I were to provide them with some shelter, that they would be more likely to stay longer instead of moving on.

SPARKYICE:
anybody have any homemade stuff that works?
i've seen the video on their website, and it sure seems like it would work.
they want just a bit more money than i'm willing to part with for something unknown

idahoiceman:

--- Quote from: SPARKYICE on Nov 19, 2007, 10:47 AM ---anybody have any homemade stuff that works?
I've seen the video on their website, and it sure seems like it would work.
they want just a bit more money than I'm willing to part with for something unknown

--- End quote ---

I'm sure a guy could make these for a lot less. I was talking to my wife and she suggested going to a aquarium store and picking up some artificial weeds there. Also something like Christmas garland. The problem with the garland is it usually comes attached to a semi stiff wire. Would not work to good for wrapping it up and unrolling it everytime.

scavengerj:
Still debating this one. For what it cost, you could make some from craft store items, 100# line and some weights. Then I look at it from a fishes perspective...especial ly the bigger fish. They know their enviroment intimately, all of a sudden, on a flat or something there appears all of this "stuff". What would the bigger fish think about it? Especially if it wasn't there the day before and then is gone the next, only to reappear on the third day? I would think that any thing placed as "structure" would have to develope into "structure" over time with various life forms taking up residence there over time. But who knows.....catch dolphin and such in the ocean hanging around a piece of floating driftwood that has baitfish under it  ??? Just .02 worth of thoughts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version