Author Topic: Propane in the cold.  (Read 772 times)

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
Propane in the cold.
« on: Jan 19, 2022, 04:54 PM »
Noticed when I came in today my buddy heater propane tank was very frosty and took a bit for the frost to go away. That's normal for the little green propane tanks right?

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Propane in the cold.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2022, 04:55 PM »
Yep. 100% normal. First time I saw it I was concerned as well.

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:39 PM »
They sell insulated sleeves that fit over the one pound tanks,they work pretty well definitely slow the frost down but not completely.there cheap and effective.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:15 AM »
I had to stop using the 1lb tanks for very cold temperatures. They frost over quick and become much harder to use. the 10lb or 20lb tanks have no issue with that at most temperatures. Below -40C even they start to struggle.

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:25 AM »
Recommend the propane sleeve as well, I have a propane Auger & have no issues with the tanks when they are covered
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:37 AM »
What's the problem with the frost? It forms but I haven't run into issues with them not working because of it...

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:38 AM »
Keeping your propane in the warm house the night before the trip will help.  Then I take old wool socks (thick ones) and cut the top off of them to make my own bottle sleeves.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:32 AM »
I know once it gets really cold propane gels like diesel and won't flow, some people that I camp by hunting run heat trace around their 100 pound bottles to keep the tank warm, last year when it was 22 below they had issues I did not but was using the bottles on the side of the camper that get a little heat from the wall they are against and their bottle was outside. There are a lot of cool things out there to keep the bottle warm, weigh the bottles to know how much is left and all.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:51 AM »
I haven't been able to BBQ for the last couple of weeks due to my propane gelling.
It sucks when a feller can't Q up a nice steak.
This is what I woke up to on Tuesday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.