Author Topic: Slush  (Read 2014 times)

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
Slush
« on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:53 AM »
Any reports of slush on Bittern and Montreal ? Drove onto Anglin lake yesterday at Jacobson bay and noticed a bit of slush when I moved my shack. Had no trouble getting around but definitely could be a mess getting the shacks off at the end of season.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Slush
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:00 AM »
I would definitely plan on getting shack off early.  the slush will be there no question just from the snow amount and then combine that with the melt and runoff into lakes   be fishing in hip waders for sure lol

Offline snack pack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:31 AM »
was up at Anglin this past weekend, plenty of slush, once you drilled holes  water would proceed to flood out your pop-up shelter. not much fun slopping around in slush all day. 4wd truck is a must or sled to get around. fishing was hit and miss

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:55 AM »
 At this point I'm so glad I procrastinated about putting my shack out.    Heard deschambault lake area is all slushed up too.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:50 PM »
Some of the lakes up North are worst I have seen in 20 years.

We had a HUGE dump of snow in early November just after most of the lakes got a few inches of ice.

Its going to be horrible season....burning almost 2x the fuel in sled ....

Brutal....

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2022, 12:18 PM »
I bought my first snowmobile this fall and have questions about slush. From what I understand there are two scenarios:

1) Water coming up drilled holes making slush. This happened to me the other week at Blackstrap. I drilled many holes and ended up parking the sled next to some. Wasn't a problem at the time but the next day I realized the track was covered in frozen slush. I don't have a heated garage so I took it to work and let it melt before even trying to move the track again. In the future I'll just park farther from open holes.

2) Weight of snow and melt creating slush. I'm worried about being out and getting stuck in unexpected slush. I know the weight of snow is a major factor but does this only happen when it's warm out or at anytime? Any tips for avoiding or getting a sled out of slush? I've got a heavy sled and maybe buying a hi-lift jack for snowmobiles a good idea? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:29 PM »
Hopefully you don't run into any slush with that new sled but if you do here are a few tips for dealing with slush the first one being when you get stuck don't be in a rush, that heavy sled is now a lot heavier and your only going to break a sweat and your back if you get in a rush. Getting your track cleared is important I carry a long filleting board that when placed under my hitch it gets my track off the ground allowing me to spin my track if you cant prop up your sled tipping it over on its side is another option. Once your track is cleared that shovel you brought becomes your friend. Moving and packing loose snow under your sled and in front of it can give you a runway to get moving again. Sometimes even waiting a couple of hours will help firm up your old trail if its cold and you have the time to wait. I've also left a sled over night and rode it out in the morning on frozen trail I understand this is not always an option and remember to clean out your track before leaving it for the night.  A big debate is often sleigh or no sleigh if your sled can be rigged to avoid a sleigh that's a good option if you have to go with a sleigh go with a newer lighter model over the old steel ones. often the lakes I sled in to are smaller so when approaching the shore line I disconnect the sleigh for the first run onto the lake that way if you do hit slush your not pulling an anchor. 
good luck out there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.