Author Topic: Idaho Ice Road Trip  (Read 1699 times)

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Idaho Ice Road Trip
« on: Dec 11, 2021, 10:30 AM »
Its still early for ice in most places in idaho but I am starting to plan my ice fishing road trip for January.  I will be taking 10 days to drive from the panhandle with my final destination Flaming Gorge for the burbot bash.  Along the way I plan to fish a few lakes with the first being cascade for at least a few days.  After cascade I was looking into a few places like American falls.  Anyone got any recommendations on lakes I should stop along the way?  I would love too target some walleye but after some quick research I didn't see any walleye lakes that came up.  Thanks for any tips or insight on destinations and hope to be on the ice soon!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Idaho Ice Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2021, 11:15 AM »
I been looking at Wild Horse Res. in Nevada. On the way to or from Cascade-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2021, 11:23 AM »
We fished Wild Horse a few times when I lived in NV. The ice was always wildly variable thickness.

South Fork usually had more consistent ice, but it doesn't always freeze over.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2021, 11:35 AM »
I'll be headed to flaming gorge this year for the burbot bash.  My first time to go there.  I'm planning on a few trips this ice season to places I've never been.  I can feel your excitement for an ice fishing road trip.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2021, 11:37 AM »
Looking more into lakes that freeze pretty solid.  Ill have my buggy with me (not that I need to use it) but I will also be camping out on the ice at these locations so I want to make sure I have some good ice.  Be my first year ding the ice camping thing.  Bear lake looks like it might be a nice option, Any insight there?

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2021, 11:38 AM »
I'll be headed to flaming gorge this year for the burbot bash.  My first time to go there.  I'm planning on a few trips this ice season to places I've never been.  I can feel your excitement for an ice fishing road trip.

Awesome! I think Ill be at the gorge either on Tuesday or Wednesday before the bash, going to get after some of them lakers they got.

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Its still early for ice in most places in idaho but I am starting to plan my ice fishing road trip for January.  I will be taking 10 days to drive from the panhandle with my final destination Flaming Gorge for the burbot bash.  Along the way I plan to fish a few lakes with the first being cascade for at least a few days.  After cascade I was looking into a few places like American falls.  Anyone got any recommendations on lakes I should stop along the way?  I would love too target some walleye but after some quick research I didn't see any walleye lakes that came up.  Thanks for any tips or insight on destinations and hope to be on the ice soon!

Probably the best plan, I'd suggest magic reservoir, but it pretty much got drained this year, American falls is low but fishable, Hopefully it stays cold and makes some ice

Offline glmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Bear Lake doesn't freeze until after good storms & then real cold weather-- Blackfoot res & Chesterfield res will have good ice by then.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2021, 11:00 AM »
Bear Lake doesn't freeze until after good storms & then real cold weather-- Blackfoot res & Chesterfield res will have good ice by then.

Thanks for the info, looks like ill stick to American, Blackfoot, and or Chesterfield for the souther portion. 

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:25 PM »
American Falls will have nice trout, and some perch to catch

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:32 PM »
any ideas on the outlook for ice on Oakley or Salmon falls creek reservoirs?  Usually enough ice to target walleye around the end of Jan?

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2021, 09:40 PM »
Not much water left in either of them.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2021, 09:56 PM »
Not much water left in either of them.

Damn, one hell of a summer we've have this year.  Hot temps in the panhandle but southern parts sure took a beating on water.

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2021, 10:32 PM »
Yes they did, lots of lakes in the central/south eastern part of the state that got pretty well drained this summer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.