Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

Just under the ice?

(1/3) > >>

jiignut:
I’ve been reading about fishing just under the ice for trout. Apparently over any depth for the rainbows and in shallower for browns I think. Of course there’s no set rule but what is the basic idea of just under the ice? Few inches, a foot or two?
Is light from the hole coming down on the bait a hindrance or advantage? My main target is browns and finally confirmed they cruise shallow a lot along shore seeing them on camera when I’m jigging out deeper with camera facing shore. Very clear water, I can see far. Last couple times I’d set a tip up or two in shallower water, (4-6’) bait half way to bottom and back off and jig in deeper, whole column. No luck except nice perch. Thanks for reading. Hoping I get some advice.

adkRoy:
When going for rainbows I like to set up the bait 6-12 inches below the ice. I've gotten them in as little as 3 feet of water and as deep as 30 feet. always just below the ice.  The only brown I ever caught was on a tip-up set halfway between the bottom and the ice in 40 feet of water. Light didn't matter so much as size of the bait. I found the smaller the shiner the better.

pooley:
Top 15 feet of the water column, from just under to 15ft. Shallow water too.

jiignut:
Thanks Roy, I read your older post about 1-3’ under. But good to hear as close as 6-12” because I never tried that, seemed wrong and weird for some reason. But that’s why I asked. That’s more like just under the ice. Can’t wait to give it a try.
Poley, do you have luck within the 1’ under ice?

adkRoy:
They are a predator fish and like to cruise just below the ice.   The biggest rainbow I ever caught came when I just put the bait in the hole. As soon as it cleared the bottom of the ice, bam, it hit.  22 inch rainbow. 3 feet of water.  ;D  Another fish that likes to cruise just below the ice is landlock salmon. Same set up. bait just below the ice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version