Author Topic: Washington Ice Fishing Perch Derby  (Read 4393 times)

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Washington Ice Fishing Perch Derby
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:44 PM »
For those that follow me I am very passionate about growing the sport of ice fishing in Washington state.

This year I am putting on a Washington Ice Fishing Perch Derby. This is an online season long (Dec. 15, 2018 thru Feb. 29, 2019) tournament hosted by Tourney X software based on length. Fish can be submitted from your smartphone or computer. You can read the rules and register for the tournament here https://tourneyx.com/app/tourney/washington-ice-perch-derby

Registration is only $10 half of which goes to pay for the webhosting of the tournament and the other half helps to recover costs. This is a fully permitted tournament Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife.

Our title sponsors are Eskimo Ice Fishing and Ion Ice Augers and we have a number of sponsors including: North 40 Outfitters, Dakota Lithium Batteries, Luxner Lures, and RAM mounts.

This is a best of 12 fish tournament and you can cull fish to replace them with longer fish.

1st place prizes total $1000 in value and include: Eskimo Quickfish 2 Pop-up Ice Tent, Ion Ice Auger, Dakota Lithium Battery, $150 in ice fishing and open water lures from Luxner Lures

2nd place: $50 gift certificate from North 40 Outfitters, RAM Mount (prize to be determined), and $75 value in Luxner Lures

3rd place: $30 value in Luxner Lures, HT Ice Rod

Quite a payout for only a $10 entry fee!!!

Shoot me any questions you may have and we will see you out on the ice!

Offline wlai

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Washington Ice Fishing Perch Derby
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2018, 02:04 AM »
Thanks Spiltmilt. I'm from the west side, and it's really based on your videos and posts last year that I drove over and tried ice fishing for the first time. Really enjoyed it! Keep up the good work and I hope to get a few trips in this season.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Is there any kind of location verification? Just thinking that a lot of eastern Washington ice fishers do sometimes make trips to Cascade...

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Is there any kind of location verification? Just thinking that a lot of eastern Washington ice fishers do sometimes make trips to Cascade...

Yes GPS tagging on photos required. Most cell phones already do this.

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:56 PM »
This is a great idea. I would also like to see more people in Washington state interested in ice fishing. Maybe we could get a few more eastern WA lakes open year round with multiple species vs the trout only lakes that close in the winter.

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:02 PM »
My sister and I have registered for the tournament. We have some questions about how this online tournament system works and need some clarification of the rules. We have never participated in an online tournament or any fishing tournament for that matter. For example, what if you don't have cell service where your fishing? What is an offical WIF identifier form and where do we get one?

SpiltMilt - I sent you a pm. Please respond or give me a call. We are super excited but just a little bit confused.

Thanks!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:43 PM »
My sister and I have registered for the tournament. We have some questions about how this online tournament system works and need some clarification of the rules. We have never participated in an online tournament or any fishing tournament for that matter. For example, what if you don't have cell service where your fishing? What is an offical WIF identifier form and where do we get one?

SpiltMilt - I sent you a pm. Please respond or give me a call. We are super excited but just a little bit confused.

Thanks!

That's a great question regarding the cell service issue. I *think the gps tag in the photo might still work in that instance. I could be wrong...

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Phones or gps capable cameras store the location in the metadata of each photo. You can submit photos after getting home rather than directly from on the ice.

Offline Slyrei

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2018, 04:31 PM »
Good to know! Thanks for the response. I am the sister in question. We are both terrible with technology. That will make it easier for sure.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:51 PM »
I went to register for the tournament, and it says $20 is that just membership and then $10 for the tournament? And only perch for specie? No other tournament for other specie?
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2018, 04:20 PM »
I went ahead and registered. Now all we need is some ice!

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:03 AM »
Not one to drive 3+ hours each way, I’m hoping we get some ice! You guys who live in the freaking boondocks got the only ice!

Offline Ridgeratt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Temps right now it's making ice all around you in eastern Washington. I'm in the same boat.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:23 PM »
In case you would like to know how to turn on or off geotagging on an iPhone or iPad:

https://www.igeeksblog.com/disable-geotagging-for-photos-on-iphone-ipad/

I had to go look and am glad that I did before we get started on this. Mine was off.

To be clear, these instructions tell you how to turn it off. To turn it on, just make sure you select "While using the app".

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Well, apparently I should have read ALL of the rules before taking my pictures this past weekend. What a bummer. How do I get one of the WIF identifier forms? Just consider my entry fee a donation to the prize pool at this point.  :-\

Offline TroutBum604

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:15 PM »
Don't sweat it, no point in trying to compete when some of the guys participating are walking around to guys on the ice offering money for there biggest perch. I've been offered money 3 different times this season and I'm not the only one.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:16 AM »
Oh seriously? Man, that is lower than low. We fished two days at Curlew last weekend and caught, literally, hundreds of perch. Our biggest ones still only topped out at 11.75". I took a look at the leader board and was wondering how someone could have so many over 12. Lots of people have more time to fish than I do though. *shrug
On the plus side, my freezer is now FULL of perch fillets!  ;D

Offline TroutBum604

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Confirmed reports from two people now too, that two of the individuals in the top 3 have been asking to purchase fish off of others. I wonder how these sponsors would feel if they knew the guys winning their products just bought their fish.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:43 PM »
That is a shame.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2019, 04:42 PM »
Confirmed reports from two people now too, that two of the individuals in the top 3 have been asking to purchase fish off of others. I wonder how these sponsors would feel if they knew the guys winning their products just bought their fish.

These are serious claims. Cheating in a tournament is considered fraud and is a felony under the law. I have reached out to you in a private message so that I can initiate contact with law enforcement regarding this issue.

Offline TroutBum604

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Replied

Offline BreakinIceAintNice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:59 PM »
Now I'm really glad I didn't enter! That is a shame, if it's true.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2019, 01:09 PM »
I've opened an investigation into these allegations. I take my role as tournament director very seriously. I have to say personally this is such a gut punch as I've worked hard to get sponsors, permits, and setup this tournament. With these types of tournaments there is no 100% surefire way to prevent dishonest people from gaming the system. Unfortunately, it appears there are multiple contestants willing to exploit these loopholes.

Offline BreakinIceAintNice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2019, 02:51 PM »
I've opened an investigation into these allegations. I take my role as tournament director very seriously. I have to say personally this is such a gut punch as I've worked hard to get sponsors, permits, and setup this tournament. With these types of tournaments there is no 100% surefire way to prevent dishonest people from gaming the system. Unfortunately, it appears there are multiple contestants willing to exploit these loopholes.

Good to hear that it is being investigated and sorry that you have to deal with this! What a bummer. There really isn't a way to stop that sort of thing. I have heard of directors using voice stress tests when a tournament is finished, but that is sad that there is even a need for that. Just have to find ways to deter cheating.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Thankfully, our community shares information well enough that these people were found out in pretty quick order. I would rather know now than a month or two after the tournament was over and the prizes doled out. I wish I had taken the time to look at the entry rules a bit better myself. My best days on the ice yielded more than a dozen fish over 11.5" and I can't even enter them. lol Please run this tournament again next year, spiltmilt. Don't let a few rotten apples spoil it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.