Vermont > Ice Fishing Vermont

Moore Reservoir walleye??

<< < (18/19) > >>

dickbaker:
 ??? ::)  Cost wise Moore Reservoir walleye would have been a super deal!  Both states would share the cost and both NH and Vt. fishermen would share fish ;D

But discussing it is a hot potato with both Vt. and NH biologists.  I won't live long enough to see it BUT maybe with some continued pressure both state's biologist might reconsider.   Maybe a web site like the lamprey eels petitions?
Dick

JMailbox8:
My question for the state would be: do walleye directly compete with pike? If they do, my next question would be: would adding walleye cause a jump in total population of walleye and pike together? I would think not, or at least not by much. There would have to be some equilibrium as they prey on similar fish, and there is only so much fish available to prey on. With no walleye added, the population of pike will increase until it hits a ceiling where there is too much competition for food to increase in population. If walleye are added, the population of pike may never be able to hit that ceiling, and the pike population could likely decrease until some sort of equilibrium is reached with the populations of the two species. That being said, which species is likely to prey on trout more: walleye or pike? If pike prey on trout more than walleye do, then I would think trout fisherman would want walleye introduced to keep the pike population down and therefore increase the population of trout. I understand that there is a very dynamic relationship between all species in a body of water, but maybe these questions and more should be asked. I am not claiming to be and expert on fish, I'm just curious.

spot:

--- Quote from: JMailbox8 on Feb 23, 2017, 10:39 PM ---My question for the state would be: do walleye directly compete with pike? If they do, my next question would be: would adding walleye cause a jump in total population of walleye and pike together? I would think not, or at least not by much. There would have to be some equilibrium as they prey on similar fish, and there is only so much fish available to prey on. With no walleye added, the population of pike will increase until it hits a ceiling where there is too much competition for food to increase in population. If walleye are added, the population of pike may never be able to hit that ceiling, and the pike population could likely decrease until some sort of equilibrium is reached with the populations of the two species. That being said, which species is likely to prey on trout more: walleye or pike? If pike prey on trout more than walleye do, then I would think trout fisherman would want walleye introduced to keep the pike population down and therefore increase the population of trout. I understand that there is a very dynamic relationship between all species in a body of water, but maybe these questions and more should be asked. I am not claiming to be and expert on fish, I'm just curious.

--- End quote ---

It has always been my suspicion that pike prey more on trout than walleye do, simply due to the habits of the two. Pike feed throughout the depth spectrum on pretty much anything that moves their way while walleye are more lazy, lying on the bottom much of the time and then suspending among schooled forage-fish at night.

Fishing for them most of my life, it's always seemed like pike would interact with trout more than walleye do. In the fall, however, we catch both walleye and the occasional trout while casting for pike in the shallows of Champlain, so they all do cross paths at certain times of year.

dickbaker:
 ???  My experience in Canada indicates that pike love to eat walleye?   Moore reservoir pike eat primarily yellow perch and there are a kazillion of them?
Dick

spot:

--- Quote from: dickbaker on Feb 24, 2017, 07:42 AM --- ???  My experience in Canada indicates that pike love to eat walleye?   Moore reservoir pike eat primarily yellow perch and there are a kazillion of them?
Dick

--- End quote ---

I've found bullheads stuck by the spines in pike bellies before, so I think pike will eat pretty much anything that moves past them when they're in the mood. They definitely do eat a lot of perch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version