Vermont > Ice Fishing Vermont

Moore Reservoir walleye??

<< < (3/19) > >>

MadflyfishingVT:

--- Quote from: thefishingweatherman on Jan 31, 2017, 05:44 PM ---Yeah, I think we oughta just let it be. Shouldn't keep dumping new species into new waters because they can spread. I don't see the fact that the trout population has tanked as being a good rationale here.

--- End quote ---

I love trout and am a member of TU. But in this case the fishery is already tanked like already stated, so might as well intrudce a well loved fish. Also seeing there is walleye in the lower river I don't think they are gonna spread much....

thefishingweatherman:

--- Quote from: MadflyfishingVT on Jan 31, 2017, 05:58 PM ---I love trout and am a member of TU. But in this case the fishery is already tanked like already stated, so might as well intrudce a well loved fish. Also seeing there is walleye in the lower river I don't think they are gonna spread much....

--- End quote ---

Well, by "lower river" do you mean below the moore dam? Cause that's obviously impassible to fish moving upstream. If you throw them in Moore, they can get up any tribs below the next dam up, and get into any other lake or pond that may be thus far unspoiled. You're also more apt to get someone without enough sense to not pluck a few from moore and throw them into Maidstone or some of the other trout lakes and pond nearby. Slippery slope. We should stop treating every waterbody as our own personal fish-tank. Every tom dick and harry with a hankering for pike or bass in his local pond is how we got to where we are today. This mentality will eventually bring Asian Carp this way, and that will be a sad day indeed. This is part of the reason why you have to drive to far northern NH or Maine for a crack at a wild brookie over 18" long, without it being some corn-fed brooder with beat up fins and a dull look in its eyes.

MadflyfishingVT:

--- Quote from: thefishingweatherman on Jan 31, 2017, 08:05 PM ---Well, by "lower river" do you mean below the moore dam? Cause that's obviously impassible to fish moving upstream. If you throw them in Moore, they can get up any tribs below the next dam up, and get into any other lake or pond that may be thus far unspoiled. You're also more apt to get someone without enough sense to not pluck a few from moore and throw them into Maidstone or some of the other trout lakes and pond nearby. Slippery slope. We should stop treating every waterbody as our own personal fish-tank. Every tom dick and harry with a hankering for pike or bass in his local pond is how we got to where we are today. This mentality will eventually bring Asian Carp this way, and that will be a sad day indeed. This is part of the reason why you have to drive to far northern NH or Maine for a crack at a wild brookie over 18" long, without it being some corn-fed brooder with beat up fins and a dull look in its eyes.

--- End quote ---

I agree with you 100%! I am also so discusstided with this state as every pond now has bass, pike, or pickerel in them. I feel the state does nothing to fix, stop, or prevent this. Now, with that said I know for a fact walleye are not like these species in the sence that they can repurduce about anywhere. Stocking walleye is very difficult, therefore I highly highly highly doubt they would spread. Walleye are not like bass or pike where once you stock a few you have thousands.

dickbaker:
 ;D Madfly?    Great to hear from a TU member with commons sense ;D   I love to fish for trout but I find walleye my second favorite.   Moore Reservoir could have provided a Quebec like warm water fishery.  Your Vt. biologist took three years to finally find a few spawning rainbow and brown trout below Comerford Dam.   To protect these "natural" trout" (living in an almost inaccessible  area)  he convinced NH biologists to stop the walleye project :'(    Remember that both Moore and Comerford   are shared by both Vt. and NH and walleye are the chosen State of Vt warm water fish.  Walleye are a NATIVE Vt. fish while brown trout and rainbow trout are introduced>
Being able to share the walleye cost would have been a super investment for both states.   Instead, tens of thousands of walleye have been stocked in Island Pond, which will never be a self sustaining population.  Walleye in the Conn. River have always been self sustaining!
Dick

dickbaker:

--- Quote from: thefishingweatherman on Jan 31, 2017, 04:49 PM ---

Unless he lied about his location, there are pike there.

--- End quote ---

??? Moore was fishing Moore Reservoir and even offers guide service for pike.
Dick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version