Idaho > Ice Fishing Idaho

After your catch.. Fish recipes

<< < (6/7) > >>

hugeinchina:
Does anyone have any way to cook farmed trout that makes them edible? I've tried smoking, frying, baking, grilling... Always the same result. Mushy, inedible, muddy taste. :(

rickgehrke:
I cooked some from Horse thief in  beer batter. I de boned them and cut them into 1 inch pieces. I put them in the freezer.
I got the oil hot, dipped the frozen chunks in the beer batter, and deep fried them until golden brown. Trout was tasty and firm. 

gunslinger:
my go to for trout salmon steelhead is as follows
clean and ice fish immediately, keep fish on ice and ABOVE water in cooler this allows meet to stay firm and flavorfull (it makes a huge difference)
fillet, skin, and completely debone
place fish single layer in a large ziplock freezer bag
garlic salt and pepper to your preference
place very thinly sliced lemons over fillets
cover lemon slices in thinly sliced evenly placed pads of butter, OR ad a sprinkling of olive oil, either option to your preference
cover all previous ingredients in a liberal amount of Fresh sprigs of dill
remove air as best you can and seal bag (this process also works wonderfully with seal a meal bags and can be done some time in advance)
fully submerge bag in simmering water time may vary, (i use the pinch test, when its firm its done)
cooking in the bag helps retain flavor and moisture producing wonderful succulent fish with a fantastic fresh taste 
if you carefully cut the top off the bag and slide the contents out you can maintain a relatively nice presentation as well

Smellsfishy!:
Something to keep in mind is the time of year you are catching the fish. If the water is warmer the fish will start to eat moss, no matter what you do to the fish you will never get a great flavor out of the fish especially if your catching planters.. Try fishing before the temps get above 75 deg on the year for the keepers and I think you will find the fish taste much better. If you are going to keep fish above 80 deg temps you might want to start fishing for bass perch or crappy.  Personally I have found that frying them in lower heat and I use coconut oil to be the best way to cook Trout with any of the above methods from this great board. Another why I enjoy them is by filling them up with spices (I like lemon) cut up some onions and fresh garlic inserting the ingredient inside the trout and literally sowing up the cavity and barque them. (be careful not to overcook and keep the heat down).

FG Steve:
Apple Brined Smoked Trout

In about 1977 my Scoutmaster fed me some smoked trout from his homemade fridge smoker.  He used apple wood from the pruning of his own trees.  That started a lifelong interest in smoked trout.  This version has been a favorite in our family for a year or two.

Rules

1. No guts make it home.  Clean fish and put on ice ASAP.  Easy in the Winter!  Entrails are good for the ecosystem.  Just don't clean 'em in shallow water or by the boat dock (unsightly).
2. No heads or tails make it to the smoker.
3. No bones make it to the smoker or the table (that includes pin bones come on don't be lazy).

Recipe

1 quart water
1/3 cup non-iodized table salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce (I like La Choy)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
12 oz. green hard cider, such as Hornsby’s Crisp or Angry Orchard Green
3-4 lbs. trout fillets

[Variation #1: Instead of 12 oz. cider, use 6 oz. cider and 6 oz. water]

1.  Mix the brine and refrigerate it until thoroughly cooled.

2. Use vertical cuts to divide the fillets into strips 1 or 2 inches wide.

3. Immerse all fish in the brine.  I recommend the Briner Jr.  Brine 7-8 hours in the fridge, stirring a few times during the brining process.  (This image shows the fish in the brine but not yet immersed.)

4. Remove fish from the brine.  Rinse each piece in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.  Place on lightly oiled smoker rack and let sit for an hour to form a good pellicle.

5. Smoke using your favorite smoker and methods.  Apple wood is strongly recommended for this recipe.

6. (Optional) Remove the skin and dark flesh from each piece.

Vacuum seal portions ASAP and store in the fridge or freezer.  Serve completely chilled.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version