The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shelburne Bay  (Read 5820 times)

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shelburne Bay
« on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:39 PM »
I drove down to Selburne Bay today too see how it was looking.  There was ice as far as the eye could see.  There were a couple of guys out jigging about 400-500 yards out from the access but that was it. 

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shelburne Bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Has anyone been catching smelt there? Have done well there for perch in the past on the west side,

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:01 AM »
There was a guy at the launch catching smelt yesterday.
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline pike addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Where's a good spot to try for smelt on Shelburne Bay?

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Where's a good spot to try for smelt on Shelburne Bay?
Go drill holes and try for yourself. 
I know it sounds unfriendly but there are always a LOT of lurkers unwilling to put in the time and try to GANK info online cuz it's easier.  This is just the wrong question to ask on an open forum when you have 7 posts to your credit 

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:43 AM »
HA!
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Go drill holes and try for yourself. 
I know it sounds unfriendly but there are always a LOT of lurkers unwilling to put in the time and try to GANK info online cuz it's easier.  This is just the wrong question to ask on an open forum when you have 7 posts to your credit 

Very funny, but true.  Will you drill holes for me?
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline snogoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:14 PM »
OK...now don't beat ME up. this is only my 7th post. I KNOW where to catch the smelt and perch in the Bay...just wanna know how thick is the ice? Haven't been out to the Bay in a few weeks...been everywhere else... ;D

Offline sanman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:06 PM »
drove by today to see what was going on, there was a guy right near the bridge jigging up smelt, and three guys about 100 yards off Allen Hill Point. Last weekend when i checked it there were car tracks cutting straight east from the launch to the other side of the bay...not sure id be driving on it yet!

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:34 PM »
OK...now don't beat ME up. this is only my 7th post. I KNOW where to catch the smelt and perch in the Bay...just wanna know how thick is the ice? Haven't been out to the Bay in a few weeks...been everywhere else... ;D

All good....just poking some fun at ya.  You will find this to be a pretty good resource of info.

Tight lines!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline snogoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:31 AM »
Still haven't heard? Anyone fishing Shelburne Bay tell us how much ice we have there? I'm headed over tomorrow night for smelt and would like to get off of Allen Point.

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:32 PM »
There driving to Allen Hill. Wouldn't drive past that though because the newer ice can't bee too thick.

Offline snogoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Went out this afternoon. Ice near Allen Hill is 5-7". There were the tracks of one car/truck (which I think is a little crazy for that thickness) but several ATVs running around in the middle of the bay off Allen Point. We caught a few nice size perch...not too crazy but it was nice to be out...

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Thanks for the update

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline Fat Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Went out this afternoon. Ice near Allen Hill is 5-7". There were the tracks of one car/truck (which I think is a little crazy for that thickness) but several ATVs running around in the middle of the bay off Allen Point. We caught a few nice size perch...not too crazy but it was nice to be out...
He was out there this Am And some of the places he went had about 4" of Ice yesterday so I guess we know why one goes Though into the lake every year.
We did get a few Smelt

Offline sanman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2011, 02:03 PM »
saw a guy in a jeep cherokee out there today a few minutes ago, must be the same guy

Offline iceman11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2011, 04:31 PM »
Anyone do good there today? Nothing at all for me.

Offline sanman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2011, 07:13 PM »
Anyone do good there today? Nothing at all for me.

4 dink perch...

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Hey Vermonner:
Your post does seem unfriendly. I didn't know 914 post gave you special status to dog anybody out.  Why not take your wealth of fishing knowledge and experience and pass it on.  After all, the point of an open forum is to share knowledge and experience. What is the harm in sharing some local info and encouraging someone to fish? There are plenty of fish out there for all of us. Great job sharing info FatDog and Sanman.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Hey Vermonner:
Your post does seem unfriendly. I didn't know 914 post gave you special status to dog anybody out.  Why not take your wealth of fishing knowledge and experience and pass it on.  After all, the point of an open forum is to share knowledge and experience. What is the harm in sharing some local info and encouraging someone to fish? There are plenty of fish out there for all of us. Great job sharing info FatDog and Sanman.

Is it sad or funny that someone dogs me out to say that I am dogging someone out?
All I did was tell him to go drill some holes...which when last I checked was still the best way to catch fish.  By some measures (like common sense) this is very helpful.
 I'll say it again since you focused on only what you wanted to focus on and not my ENTIRE post.  THERE. ARE.  TOO.  MANY.  LURKERS.  TRYING.  TO.  GANK.  INFO.  WITHOUT.  PUTTING.  IN. THE. TIME.  When you, Kayaker, post info on a public forum and have your spot overrun the next weekend with people who "read about it on the iceshanty, god I love that site."  maybe we can talk about not divulging a spot.  Til then why don't ya just shut your whiny trap?  Besides,  Shelburne bay is an extremely easy place to fish, even without all the latest and greatest Dave Genz gear.  I learned to do it more or less on my own with low-tech gear.  Not meeting your expectations?  Tough $hat.  Go dog someone else

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:18 AM »
What it is, is that everybody on here does not want to see their honey hole taken over.  Its not a bad thing telling someone where to fish, or what to use.  If you get to know somebody, and know that they are hardcore and can keep their mouth shut then you can show them spots.  This site is for increasing your knowledging o the great sports of ice fishing, and see what people catch.   Some people just dont want to walks miles in a day to find a spot, and when you do find that spot its a sense of accomplishment.

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:27 AM »
I mean, I show people spots from time to time.  If I know them.  In the past 3 years I have introduced 2 people to icefishing and reintroduced 4.  Public forum open divulgence?  No sir, not for me.  Wonder how many people seayaknh has introduced to icefishing?

Offline iceman11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:33 AM »
I'd pay a guide to take me out or buy a power auger and drill holes for people who know what they're doing.

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:22 AM »
Vermonner:

You confirmed in your last post what I'm calling you out on. What you refer to as "lazy", "lurkers", etc., May simply be people who enjoy ice fishing but don't yet have the experience to know where to go to have some success.  Ask any experienced fisherman and they will tell you to seek out the local knowledge.  In my opinion, Snogoose was doing no more than that.

You mention that if you post on Ice Shanty, then everybody and their brother shows up the next weekend. When I was at the Shelburne Bay acces on Friday (Feb 18), there was enough parking for probably 100 cars.  Shelburne Bay is huge.....plenty of space for you and a few other guys to fish for sure.  I'm quite sure if you posted here to try near Allen's Hill or perhaps over on the flats near the old oil tanks, it wouldn't be disclosing any "top secret" information and probably would intrude on your fishing.

I respect your right not to disclose information (although I absolutely don't agree with it).  This board is about community and sharing.....and there is no place to dog out someone because they have only posted 7 times and they are seeking some advice.

RESPECT is something you have to earn....you don't automatically get it for posting 900 times. 

And as far as me shutting up......I don't think so. When I see people like you just being mean, not to mention shellfish......I'm calling you out on it.  Don't want to hear....don't make the kind of post you made to Snogoose. If you consider him a "lurker", simply don't comment.....it's that easy.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2011, 11:00 AM »
You guys are both right and both wrong. I truly enjoy taking new people out and who doesn't. P
ost a good spot on this forum, not.... I have no problem posting a spot on Champlain but
will never tell you where I fish on Willoughby. Couple weeks left of the season get out and
drill some holes enjoy it before its over. Love Vermont and great fishing, my .02 

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Uh, so anyway...how's the bite on Shelburne Bay these days...generally speaking of course ;)
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Vermonner:

You confirmed in your last post what I'm calling you out on. What you refer to as "lazy", "lurkers", etc., May simply be people who enjoy ice fishing but don't yet have the experience to know where to go to have some success.  Ask any experienced fisherman and they will tell you to seek out the local knowledge.  In my opinion, Snogoose was doing no more than that.

You mention that if you post on Ice Shanty, then everybody and their brother shows up the next weekend. When I was at the Shelburne Bay acces on Friday (Feb 18), there was enough parking for probably 100 cars.  Shelburne Bay is huge.....plenty of space for you and a few other guys to fish for sure.  I'm quite sure if you posted here to try near Allen's Hill or perhaps over on the flats near the old oil tanks, it wouldn't be disclosing any "top secret" information and probably would intrude on your fishing.

I respect your right not to disclose information (although I absolutely don't agree with it).  This board is about community and sharing.....and there is no place to dog out someone because they have only posted 7 times and they are seeking some advice.

RESPECT is something you have to earn....you don't automatically get it for posting 900 times. 

And as far as me shutting up......I don't think so. When I see people like you just being mean, not to mention shellfish......I'm calling you out on it.  Don't want to hear....don't make the kind of post you made to Snogoose. If you consider him a "lurker", simply don't comment.....it's that easy.

pm sent

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:05 PM »
I have no idea!  I haven't fished there in years...too many other really good spots for big perch further north.

And Snogoose......happy to have you join us anytime for some perch fishing!  You just have to be willing to say where we caught 'em, what we used for bait, how deep the water, and what the ice conditions were!

Offline snogoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Uh, so anyway...how's the bite on Shelburne Bay these days...generally speaking of course ;)

I can tell you what DIDN"T happen on Sunday. We DIDN'T catch fish. We were trying to introduce ice fishing to my two young nieces form CT. They were more intrigued by the fact that we could walk so far out on the ice and drill a hole through 14" of it. Then "dangle" bait in the hole. We taught them how to jig and how to set a hook. It was about hot chocolate, bagels & cream cheese and hanging out in "those cool little houses"...

We caught VERY few perch, but everyone had a GREAT time! They didn't last long, but shoot, they're only 10 and 13 yrs old, so to get them away from their ipads and video games is a monstrously large accomplishment. They laughed and and learned and came away from the experience with a new found appreciation of what it means to "dress warmly" and not be concerned about "fashion"...

So, although we did NOT catch many fish, the point of the expedition was to teach them something about the local culture, and in that, we were successful.

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Great report Snogoose.....glad that having a good time and taking a kid fishing was the focus.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.