Author Topic: Electric Augers???  (Read 2210 times)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
Electric Augers???
« on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:48 PM »
I'm getting my first Auger for Christmas this year and I don't want to get a crappy one.  I decided to go with the electric because its quieter and no gas to deal with.  So I wanted to know if anyone has one, and if so how do you like it?  And to anyone else with more knowledge than me, which one is better, the Jiffy or the Strikemaster??? Also, I want an 8-inch, but having some trouble finding one so I might go with the 7-inch.

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline TONYR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Electric Augers???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:42 AM »
AJ, from what I have read on the electric augers (no real life experience) it's the battery issue that seems to garner the most discussion. Small battery fewer holes, large auger fewer holes. Dragging a 50 pound deep cycle battery around in slush or snow is a for-sure-heart-attack. Check out the"ice team . com" website and ask some questions. The mid western guys seemed to have some experience with them and should be a source of information. Keep us informed. I am still using a 5 inch Mora and can get a 5 pound bass through it with a LIP-GAFF. I release everything but eater perch. Cutting with the five is no work, I use a six when I tip-up fish in a contest. I have a Jiffy in the attic and don't think about it unless there is 24 inches or more of ice. Good luck...

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:44 AM »
I have never even seen the electric augers but i would think that cold weather on the ice and a larger hole being drilled would drain that battery fast. 

I have a Jiffy gas powered auger .. but i keep that up at Lake George.  For the most part in NJ i have never had any troubles using a hand help ice auger .. keep the blasdes sharp and your rippin thru 14 inches of ice in no time. 

Offline TONYR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:34 AM »
If I remember correctly, a large motor cycle battery and a six inch electric was good for 25 to 30 holes. Problem is, you kill a battery real fast if you discharge it close to completely and then recharge it hours later. You don't get much more than 1 season out of a standard battery when running it way down in the cold repeatedly. Food for thought.

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2005, 02:46 PM »
Thanks for the input, these are some of my concerns, I don't want to be spending $350 for something that won't last me.  The new Strikemaster seems to be better, so I think I'm going to end up going with that one.  I figure if I drill a good dozen holes with it I can just have a bettery out on the ice with me to charge it while I'm not using it, thus keeping it from ever hitting empty.  A 12 volt is what is recomended to charge it, but I'm sure I can always go bigger, I havn't got it yet so any more info would be great especially if anyone out there owns one!

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.