Author Topic: THE BEST  (Read 2398 times)

Offline fishkopp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's Short Fish Hard
THE BEST
« on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:30 PM »
The best Auger?

The Best Tip ups?

The Best jigging rods and reels?

What do you guyz like and why is it better then the rest.  ::)

I think this hole's too small

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: THE BEST
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:18 PM »
 For me....Windlass tip-up outfish the stationary ones. It may give that extra atraction by jigging  the bait by itself (with wind). A different setup, but I found by reading  the instructions, seting up at home, and  doing a "Dry run" so you know how it works on the ice.  I have a few, and really enjoy them. The company says it (the :tipup:) outfishes others 5:1. I find this some what true. As with any fishing situation: location, location, location. Feel free to PM me with other specifics/tips if you are interested in this tipup.

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2005, 06:42 AM »
I have a few of the windlass tip-ups too. I have used them only with tiny storm jigs. I have caught a few perch on them. I still like the Polar tip ups the best. For me they do not freeze up and the line runs off the spools with ease.

I have a Jiffy auger. It is the only auger I have ever used. It is the best  ;) (for me at least)

My jigging rods are just old trout rods that the tips broke off of. They work but this season I am going to pick up a few real jigging rods...

Good luck out there

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2005, 07:46 AM »
Ive always likes the Polar Tip ups.   They dont freeze and the nice thing is running towards the hole i can see the arm moving to let me know the fish is stripping line off. 

I have wanted to try the Windlass tip ups though .... they look like they would work with the slight jigging motion they impart of the bait.

Have Auger:  What do you fish under the windlass .. are you using live bait or a jig ? 

As for Augers .. i have always used a Jiffy Auger .. never had any complaints and always work well so im happy with that.

As for Jigging rods ..... ive bought some jigging rods from the tacle store, used ultra light trout rods ... all about the same as far as im concerned ... althought i do like the ultra light trout rods because they give a better feel when im jigging a rapala lure.

Offline NickN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:08 AM »
Artic Fisherman Tip-ups
Jiffy Augers
St. Croix Rods

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2005, 05:24 PM »
Iceman, it's a secret, so check your pm. I went to SA website to see these polar tipups and found 3-4 different kinds. could you pm me a link as to which one you are talking about, thanks :thumbsup:

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
Re: THE BEST reel
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:23 PM »
I can only offer a suggestion for a reel for light jigging:
Zebco 44 Classic underspin (or any equivalent?)
I got one of these about 12 years ago for trout fishing streams in winter. Why? Because they work light baits almost like a spinning reel, are balanced like a spinning reel, and you never need to touch or feel the line. That means you can wear gloves or have frozen hands!!! Not to mention, it only cost about $18. As it turns out, I never used it for trout, but it is the PERFECT ice fishing reel!!! The overall "closed face design" is great for ice fishing. I spooled mine with 4lb ANDE pink and use a 15" cheapo rod with only a tiptop guide. I have landed 17" largemouth without a problem. Ease of use is EVERYTHING in ice fishing, and you know it. It's so nice I almost never use any tipups. :) 8) ;) ;D :D
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Offline RJP

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2005, 01:06 PM »

Auger: I have an 8 inch Eskimo hand auger.  Works ok - but I would probably look to a smaller size if I was to get a new one.  8 inch hole is a job to drill.

Tip-ups: I used them for the first time last year.  I got 2 of the yellow plastic ones (forgot the brand).  They worked fine - I didn't catch anything on them, but I don't think it was the tip-ups fault.

Rod & Reel:  I use my regular ultra light fresh water rods and spinning reels with 4lb test vanish line.  they are 4 foot long rods.  I like the longer rob because (1) alot of the time I stand up while jigging and (2) I can stick the tip down under the the ice when I have a fish on that I can't pull straight up.  My thinking on this is that if I had a shorter rod and held it above the ice, the line might get cut off by scraping on the bottom edge of the ice.  I may be off base on this, but it's my .02.

Looking forward, hopefully, to a good long and cold winter.

RJP

PS - this was my worst fall ever for surf fishing.  Nothing but skates and one medium size bluefish (the guy I fish with caught the blue).  This set the record for me for most times skunked.

How did everyone else do?  I heard it was a decent year for stripeed bass for boat fishermen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.