Author Topic: STRIKEMASTER 8 INCH HAND AUGER ?  (Read 2782 times)

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
STRIKEMASTER 8 INCH HAND AUGER ?
« on: Nov 21, 2005, 05:47 PM »
For those who use a hand auger...I was looking at the SM 8inch handauger. I have a mora 6 incher (15 year old) . I was curious if cutting is that much improved and what the comparison may be 6 mora vs 8 strike master? Any thoughts on these?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Re: STRIKEMASTER 8 INCH HAND AUGER ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2005, 08:53 PM »
No matter how much improved the 8 inch auger may be, you're going to have a much  harder time getting through the ice with it, compared to the 6inch auger.
I bought a six incher last year after many years cutting with an 8 inch...the 6 incher cuts faster with much less effort....and I still have no problem getting my fish up through the hole  (maybe I just don't catch large enough fish !!!! )

PS......buy a power auger in 8 inch !!!!!  You'll love it!!!!

IceBalls (NY)

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2005, 07:26 AM »
If you have to have an 8" hand auger go with the Nils Master hand auger. It cuts easier and faster than most other 6" hand augers.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2005, 10:32 AM »
HaveAuger:  I agree with LoneWolf.......get the Nils hand auger.  I have a 6 inch and it cuts like butter with almost no effort.  I am sure the 8 inch will do the same! ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

MikeThePike

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2005, 11:20 PM »
I just picked 1 up and will let you know as soon as I get a chance to try it out (this Sunday)

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2005, 05:52 PM »
Thanks, Don't want power just yet, and yes I know I will love it, But living in central Jersey, and having a limited access/time to the safer ice, sorta steers me to go with the less expensive option.
 I noticed SA on line has the 8 incher on sale + total over $100 is free shipping. The six incher is a bit higher in price too. Besides, if I get a little chilled, then it is time to drill a new hole :tipup:.
  I have made about 100 panfish ice jigs so far in the last week.   I can't wait to try them out. Of course I still have to paint them  :).

bonkfan14

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2005, 06:44 PM »
Thanks, Don't want power just yet, and yes I know I will love it, But living in central Jersey, and having a limited access/time to the safer ice, sorta steers me to go with the less expensive option.
 I noticed SA on line has the 8 incher on sale + total over $100 is free shipping. The six incher is a bit higher in price too. Besides, if I get a little chilled, then it is time to drill a new hole :tipup:.
  I have made about 100 panfish ice jigs so far in the last week.   I can't wait to try them out. Of course I still have to paint them  :).
  why do you need an 8 in auger panfishing? 6 in is plenty good enough.....good luck to all this year!!!!!!!!

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2005, 06:49 PM »
The 8 inch auger works pretty good. I didn't see any difference from a 7 inch auger. Me and MikethePike tried it out yesterday fishing in PA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.