Author Topic: HOW LONG TILL ICE  (Read 3404 times)

Offline bucknbass

• IceShanty Rookie
HOW LONG TILL ICE
« on: Nov 18, 2005, 12:01 PM »
Dose any body know how long and at what temp.for safe ice?Looks like it will be in the high 20s for the next few days. :tipup:

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: HOW LONG TILL ICE
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:40 PM »
Ill go with December 22nd in NJ for me to be out on the ice

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2005, 09:05 PM »
If we get a good 10 days or so of constant below 32 temps. there should be enough ice to go out on. I could be wrong on this, it might take only a week or perhaps two weeks.

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Also water temp. It has got to be a consistant downward trend. last week not. This week and what they are predicting for the future it will  THANK GOD I was starting to worry!

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:36 AM »
Last year I was on the ice Dec 28 in NY & NJ Jan 8.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2005, 08:56 PM »
The way this year's been.......I'm betting second week of January!

Offline Tom_K_from_NJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Hello everyone.   The recent chill in the air got me thinking about this website, and sure enought, it's already active.  I can't wait! 

MikeThePike

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2005, 11:22 PM »
Hello everyone.   The recent chill in the air got me thinking about this website, and sure enought, it's already active.  I can't wait! 

Them big pike are waiting for ya Tom. Good luck this season.

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:55 AM »
The first thing is to get the water temps down ... with the cold air that we had gotten the last week or so (not counting there past few days) we have been accomplishing that.  The water temps have been dropping. 

Now its easier to freeze the water so as long as your getting below freezing tems at night and near freezing during the day .. the water will harden.  A good week of below 32 degree days will get the first layer of skim on the lake faster .. then if it goes above freezing during the day .. the ice will still be forming from the bottom down  ;D

Im bettin that we will be on the ice sometime around x-mas or shortly after  :tipup:

Offline bassintom_nj

• IceShanty Rookie
  • got bass?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:31 PM »
furnace lake is covered but i know it isn't safe yet.
wishin' i wuz fishin'<br /><br />fishing is not a matter of life and death,IT'S MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT!

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:21 PM »
i dont veture out on a lake unless i know its safe by getting reports and see guys out thier i mostly have my son with me and wont chance it but 4-5 of black is my minumum any less is insane had a close call once never again

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2005, 02:55 PM »
I don't think there is a safe temperature to be out because i've been out on lakes when its in the low 40's ltr in the year, but I believe 4 inches is considered safe especially if it is all black.  Atleast thats what the Captain tells me.

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

MikeThePike

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2005, 04:28 PM »
If you guys are gonna wait for 4+" of ice them me, PikePopper and Icemusky will have already caught all the fish. Then again we are a bit nuts when it gets to being the 1st out and last off but the season is so short compared to the open water season so we try to get out the most times possible. Luckily for me with my new job I can go out 7 days a week if I want.... ;D

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:02 PM »
I drilled a hole in my local pond today and saw 3" about 5 feet from shore in an area that is a little warm. It won't be much longer for me there, especially with the cold forecast! 8) MY MEAL WORMS FROM LAST YEAR (half of them) ARE STILL OK! :D
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:27 AM »
You can get out ice fishing 7 days a week .. now that is a job worth keepin Mike ! 
 ;D

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Has anyone been around Greenwood Lake recently?  I'm in Lincoln Park and the temps have been below 32 since last Thursday.  I know its been even colder at Greenwood, reaching into the teens.  I heard one report from last week that up by Chapel Island there's a little bit of ice forming, but not on the southern end.  Anybody know if this is true??

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Not sure about that report but after last nights deeeep freeeze, it won't be long.  (-5 deg. last night in Northern Somerset County)
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline bucknbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:15 PM »
Has anyone been around Greenwood Lake recently?  I'm in Lincoln Park and the temps have been below 32 since last Thursday.  I know its been even colder at Greenwood, reaching into the teens.  I heard one report from last week that up by Chapel Island there's a little bit of ice forming, but not on the southern end.  Anybody know if this is true??
JUST DOVER BY GREENWOOD ALL OF THE JERSY SIDE LOOKED SOILD.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.