Author Topic: Temperature this morning  (Read 7679 times)

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Temperature this morning
« Reply #60 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:37 AM »
idk i thought this was just plain and simple. ice will form faster if the water is calm. ice will form if there is wind, but not nearly as fast as it will as if there was not. i'm not getting pulled into this cause i have better stuff to do like organize my tackle, sharpen hooks and respool ;D ;D. so i'm just going to leave it at
USE A BOBBER!

Offline mikeps326

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:19 AM »
How bout everyone just not worry which ones faster...let's just all hope we get the ice "soon" lol

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2011, 02:02 PM »
Agrred! I'll deal with the wind as long as we get the ice! and hopefully it's soon!!!

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 30, 2011, 03:22 PM »
I thought i heard crickets today in my backyard ::)

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:33 PM »
If you're really serious about seeing how wind affects water temps you're going to have to go about what you are doing in a more scientific manner. You'll need years of sample data and you need to take into account all the conditions. At the very least you need to take surface temperature readings at different areas of the lake bofore the wind starts, during the wind, and after the wind stops. You also need to take air temperature readings, log wind speeds, and note how sunny it is and how many hours the sun is hitting the water. I wouldn't bother with the wind chill factors because those are calculated in realtion to what your 98 degree body feels. This time of year surface temperatures of lakes are already around freezing temps (mid 30s-low 40s depending on the lake) and if you have a 45-50 degree windy day and the water is in the 30s the combination of the warmer wind and the sun beating down on the water and bottom will actually warm up the surface (even though the wind chill might be below freezing.) If you get a windy day in the 20s then the wind will help the water cool down faster but at the same time it will prevent it from freezing. River ice is a different story and forms in a bunch of different ways. I fish coves of rivers where the water is calm enough to make ice. Ice also forms in curent breaks created by rocks, trees, shorelines etc...During the day the sun heats those pieces of structure causing the edges to melt allowing the current to sweep the ice downstream away from the structure. These chunks of ice congregate in areas like deep pools and at the base of waterfalls. The mist thrown off by the falls also freezes almost instantly on cold days when it reaches any surface (just like freezing rain) and this can cause feet of ice to build up.

That's only if you're trying to prove something............. I'm just hypothesizing!!! LMAO............true if you are writing a thesis but I'm just trying to understand the questions my mind is asking not make it more complex than necessary. On 2nd thought I probably made it more complex eitherway.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:44 PM »
idk i thought this was just plain and simple. ice will form faster if the water is calm. ice will form if there is wind, but not nearly as fast as it will as if there was not. i'm not getting pulled into this cause i have better stuff to do like organize my tackle, sharpen hooks and respool ;D ;D. so i'm just going to leave it at

Good post!

Take the words in red 1st............See below from the NOAA (National Oceanic Atmoshperic Assoc.) it's not just some internet surfing like ehow. NOAA is the real deal.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/bgm/wxtalk/script38.txt

From paragraph 4:-
"For example, a wind chill of 32 degrees does NOT cause water to freeze if the air temperatures is above freezing.  However, higher wind speeds will help cool water faster, and if the air temperature IS below freezing, the wind will cause water to freeze faster.

I have to disagree with your statement but appreciate the words of support.

Now the words in blue............me too! Ready for the pond and some fish tomorrow!!!

Tightlines gents!!

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:09 AM »
idk but i saw ice yesterday!
USE A BOBBER!

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:41 AM »
What a day! I shoulda coulda went down the shore party boat bottom fishing today but decide to hang here saturday.. BUMMING now .. you who want to fish should find open water to set up a couple shoreline poles ::) Just remember not to drink anything if driving this weekend! lol ::) the state is so hard up for money "our HOMELAND SECURITY" is so hard up for money!!! ::) and just be extra careful , here is wishing all a safe and Happy New year ice or no ice ;D

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:27 AM »
I've been using this warm weather to stock up on more pike and muskie bait. In the last week I think I've added about 4 dozen fallfish and 3 dozen suckers to my collection. If anyone has big goldens and wants to trade for suckers (live or dead) let me know. I've had a rough time catching goldens and I'll take them live or dead, doesn't matter. Here's a few pics from the other day. It's always good when you can't see the bottom of the bucket. I even had to throw a fallfish back because it was too big...2lbs 8oz :o

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:33 PM »
I've been using this warm weather to stock up on more pike and muskie bait. In the last week I think I've added about 4 dozen fallfish and 3 dozen suckers to my collection. If anyone has big goldens and wants to trade for suckers (live or dead) let me know. I've had a rough time catching goldens and I'll take them live or dead, doesn't matter. Here's a few pics from the other day. It's always good when you can't see the bottom of the bucket. I even had to throw a fallfish back because it was too big...2lbs 8oz :o

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I hope you have some open water spots so you can use that bait. Catfish on the lake was spot on with his "I got a bad feeling". It'll be a short season for sure this year, maybe only 6 -8 weeks if we are lucky. In fact, lots of spots in NY are not frozen yet and usually they are as well. Only smaller bodies of water.

Here's an interesting link about the Niagra ice bridge that forms each year:- http://www.niagarafrontier.com/icebridge.html

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:24 PM »
My ice season started on December 14th, and 6-8 weeks will give me 42-56 days on the ice  ;D

Offline eyesntightlines

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer on the ice is always nice!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:07 AM »
Happy New Years Everyone!

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:24 AM »
My ice season started on December 14th, and 6-8 weeks will give me 42-56 days on the ice  ;D

Wow, you must get a lot of vacation time! ;D

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:04 AM »
I'm a musician, every day is a vacation. If you see a guy sitting in his car practicing saxophone while watching his tipups, that's me.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:05 AM »
I'm a musician, every day is a vacation. If you see a guy sitting in his car practicing saxophone while watching his tipups, that's me.

Nice!

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:19 PM »
I was playing my d12 martin twelve string for a few hours  outside in my backyard today ;D redtail hawk overhead chasing pigeons..sunshine made it feel like summertime!  I guess it is suppose to blast artic air soon  for a few days.. I sure hope we have a normal winter and  at least a few weeks of good ice ::)  Either way, I'm long over due for some kind of fishing and will try something soon.  Happy  ice fishing  or any kind of fishing season all 2012 ::)

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #76 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:24 PM »
If it gets cold enough..... Even the Niagara above the falls will freeze solid and no water will pass the drop-off. If memory serves, this has happened in 2-3 winters of extreme cold in the past 100 years. But "cold enough" depends on where and when. I have fished the  Mullica river on brackish water ice some 35-38 years ago. It was brutal cold that far south in NJ to form the ice on that salted water. It was also a time when NJ had 18-24 inches of I've on some lakes. There are exceptions to all rules.

Scenic Lake was half skimmed this morning, but that won't get any of us dragging and thunking and buzzing on the hard stuff for the next few days at least.

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #77 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:50 PM »
If it gets cold enough..... Even the Niagara above the falls will freeze solid and no water will pass the drop-off. If memory serves, this has happened in 2-3 winters of extreme cold in the past 100 years. But "cold enough" depends on where and when. I have fished the  Mullica river on brackish water ice some 35-38 years ago. It was brutal cold that far south in NJ to form the ice on that salted water. It was also a time when NJ had 18-24 inches of I've on some lakes. There are exceptions to all rules.

Scenic Lake was half skimmed this morning, but that won't get any of us dragging and thunking and buzzing on the hard stuff for the next few days at least.

two-three years ago i fished hopatcong, the ice was about 19-20in (great workout with a dull hand auger haha).. Usually builds up pretty well there anyway in the coves atleast! i cannot wait anymore!

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #78 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:18 AM »
it was pretty damn cold this morning and the forecast is for 9° tonight... too bad that it is supposed to be 51° again on saturday  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Waiting for the ice

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #79 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Still no ice on Scenic Lake ( the bigger pond ). Tonight may start the the ICE forming if it's not blowing. Me, I'm going to put an extra coat on the driveway if it gets warm enough again and chances are 50-50. It will be still tonight if we get a break, 2-3 MPH could fade, but for now it's a waiting game. Time to order the bait or go buy some at Dow's.

In some cold winters, the ducks and geese have kept a big hole open on Big Swartzwood over deep water even though most of the rest of the lake was solid. That's by the point across from the state park and the opposite side from the old hotel. It's never a sure thing walking any lake / pond, so if you don't know the lake you are going to fish, it pays to chat people up and ask lots of questions. Greenwood lake can be solid in the morning on the north end and have a big crack running north/south by afternoon. Being a little skinny kid that bid good-bye to 250 many years ago, I normally bring an 8-10 foot plank to the places that throw you a curve once in a while. I don't recommend jumping cracks or ridges if you don't have a back-up plan ready to go.

Check out the Web-Guy on the Knee-Deep video link, the HopatCong is still wide open and the wipers are active.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #80 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Hope this isnt like 2008 when it was like 60+ degrees at this time and it was a short season for the most part. At least we had a little early ice that year.  My hope by middle of Januaury not looking too good.

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
« Reply #81 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:52 PM »
good to see your still around KingKool.  Havent seen you since you pulled that walleye out of musknetcong.     Hope to get out on a little pond this week end, winds killer out there though. 

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #82 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Papa Dukes?? I am figuring its you with a name change. Hope all is well!!

Also hoping the forecast is right(we know it wont be) starting next Thursday night. Looks like a run of days where the temps wont get above freezing with some ice making nights. Now these clowns cant predict a couple days in advance for the most part but i hope its right this time!!!!

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Lol yeah, it's Papa Dukes, forgot my password and hit a few bumps in life, but finally got back on.  I know longwood lake is locked up, from the road it looks like a little more then a skim.  going to head up to a few small ponds on friday w/ the spud bar, hopefully i'll have enough ice to use it.  i'll post my findings

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.