Author Topic: Rapala R12 Issues  (Read 1789 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rapala R12 Issues
« on: Jun 21, 2022, 09:44 AM »
Recently purchased the new Rapala R12, the first one had an issue where the trigger would stick and I couldn't turn it off (obviously a BIG issue), blade release was really finicky, the battery indicator wouldn't work, and the LED light by the blades wouldn't work.  Drove the hour round trip to Cabelas to exchange it for a new one.  Yesterday, I fillet 5 walleye and the battery indicator and LED isn't working on this one now either.  It worked when I first opened it, but those two things stopped working within 10 minutes of use.  Anybody else having these issues?  I'm hesitant to return it to Cabelas in the fear that I'll receive another bum one from the same batch.

I tried calling Rapala, but they want me to pay for shipping to send it to them. I would think they want to see it to determine what's going on with them, but they weren't willing to send me a prepaid shipping label.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Rapala R12 Issues
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2022, 11:22 AM »
My older 110v/12v Rapala has trigger issues as you described..blade release works fine .. my buddy has the same knife as me with no issues on either points. May be you can convince Cabelas to let you return it with a free shipping label ...and either try again or just get your money back and go with a differnt option  Who knows how long those R12 were sitting on the shelf ..that could be why the battery issue is present .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2022, 11:26 AM »
My older 110v/12v Rapala has trigger issues as you described..blade release works fine .. my buddy has the same knife as me with no issues on either points. May be you can convince Cabelas to let you return it with a free shipping label ...and either try again or just get your money back and go with a differnt option  Who knows how long those R12 were sitting on the shelf ..that could be why the battery issue is present .

Yeah, I might just bite the bullet and drive back to Cabelas and return it and try one more time.  Bummer is that it cut great and I really want to love it.  The battery has plenty of juice, but it just doesn't show on the meter and the LED doesn't work. 

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2022, 02:24 PM »
Yeah, I might just bite the bullet and drive back to Cabelas and return it and try one more time.  Bummer is that it cut great and I really want to love it.  The battery has plenty of juice, but it just doesn't show on the meter and the LED doesn't work.

Ralph, if you decide to bag the R12, The Bubba Pro is a really nice knife.  I got my son one for Christmas.  It cuts like Buttah.  ;)

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2022, 02:27 PM »
Ralph, if you decide to bag the R12, The Bubba Pro is a really nice knife.  I got my son one for Christmas.  It cuts like Buttah.  ;)

DN

Thanks Mark, I'm going to give this Rapala one more try.  3 strikes and it's out...then the Bubba it is!  Good to see ya on the site too!  ;)

Offline Ice Thunder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2022, 07:24 PM »
I used my new R12 for the first time in April at Lake Erie.

Each day cleaning 12 walleyes, by the time I was done the knife body was so hot I could hardly hold it.

I emailed Rapala, told them that and they sent me a prepaid return label to send it in for review.

The next day Rapala got back to me again and said, "Just send yours to us and we are shipping you a brand new one in it's place".

I never got an explanation beyond that, and I haven't used the new one much, but that's pretty good customer service in my mind. (And NO, I have No affiliation whatsoever with Rapala).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.