Author Topic: Polar Fire- Cold Weather Clothing  (Read 8068 times)

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
Polar Fire- Cold Weather Clothing
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:50 AM »
I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this line of outdoor clothing. I could not find much on it good or bad. Suppose to be waterproof and windproof, but I cant find any rating on how it works in extreme cold.

Thanks in advance for any info......Woody
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

surflizard

Re: Polar Fire- Cold Weather Clothing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Brand Spankin new brand, I see that HT is importing it, so If its anything like their tackle, it will be cheap Chinese Knockoffs, ya gotta love those Linder Brothers, Art and Al, praise the lord and pass the donation plate !! Just my .02 !

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 11:07 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2011, 02:41 PM »
Well, I have no problem with any HT gear!  What isnt made in China anymore?  Yes there are some companies making stuff elsewhere, but at premium prices..Everyone of my HT tip-ups from the 20 year old ones to last years ones still work great, and I think their Accu-Cast reels are some of the best out there.

I have a set of the Polar Fire outerwear on the way, in fact a set for the Mrs. also, so I will be happy to report my findings.  In the info I have gotten, it is a line of premium outdoor clothing designed and marketed to go head to head with the other dedicated ice fishing clothing being sold today.

I currently own Arctic Armor, Frabill Sno-Suit, StrikeMaster as well as Vexilar clothing so I will be happy to offer my findings as compared to those.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2011, 02:56 PM »
I have had more then enough trouble with the HT gear, tip ups, rods, skimmers that now I stay far away from it, that is just my Opinion ! Good luck with the new gear and by all means let us know what you think of it.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Woody I think I saw them at Dick's today. I didn't give them a good look over. I was there for buckshot. See you on the ice I'm sure

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2011, 11:54 AM »
@Campfindit-  I bought them anyway regardless of where they were made.  Needed a new set up.  Gear is ready for ice if it ever decides to get cold.  See you soon!

Offline flywatersmallie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Brand Spankin new brand, I see that HT is importing it, so If its anything like their tackle, it will be cheap Chinese Knockoffs, ya gotta love those Linder Brothers, Art and Al, praise the lord and pass the donation plate !! Just my .02 !

True on all counts but I had a chance to try this stuff on and its really pretty nice. Nice enough that I bought a set, HT is just the distributor it seams as their name isn't anywhere on it. I am going to pick my set up tomorrow morning, they didn't have it in stock. I am an hour from HT or would likely not have even given it a look but.... If its half the stuff the other brands products are, I will be pleased. Tough to argue with $120 for the complete suit

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Well once we get a good cold windy day I will let you all know what I think.

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:40 AM »
You get what you pay for. I looked at them and I wasn't impressed.  :tipup:

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:15 PM »
I have had a chance to compare the new Polar Fire ice fishing suit from HT, and I have to say, I am very impressed with this new gear.  I currently own several suits, mostly because I am a gear junkie, and also because we can supply the clients we guide with warm clothes if they have none.

Current suits owned include Frabill Snow Suit, two sets of Arctic Armor (by I.D.I), a Vexilar Cold Snap suit and a StrikeMaster Hardwater Ware Polar suit.

I don’t own any of the Ice Armor products, but feel I am familiar enough with them to offer comparisons.

The Polar Fire suit, for me, has all the features and then some, for the right combination of warmth, durability, function and style.  The parka has several features not found on any of the other parkas I own.

I would compare the outer material to the Vexilar, Arctic Armor and StrikeMaster gear.

Popular features include:
Inner fleece lining which is soft, including the hood, BIG zipper pulls, removable hood, reflective piping and a long tail in back. 

Now some features that NONE of my other parkas have.

•   Zippers on the side that allow a little more room to zip with that extra layer.
•   The inner waist storm flap is removable.
•   The fleece hand warmer pockets are REMOVEABLE, so you can just remove and wash them when they start to stink from shoving wet, fishy hands into them!
•   The inner neoprene wrist cuffs are adjustable as are the outer shell cuffs. You can stick your arm in an ice hole up to your elbow and water won’t get past your wrist seal.

As for the bibs, my favorite feature is the fact that the leg openings are wide, and there is nothing at the bottom of the opening to hang up on.  Too many bibs have Velcro straps, and storm gaiters that make it almost impossible to get your foot through without hanging up on something.  The Polar Fire bibs have a snap system to snug the bottom closed and that is it.  (Unless I am standing in 12” of water, I don’t see a real benefit to super sealing my pant legs, in fact I rarely use the gaiters in any of my bibs).

The Ladies version, while not including several of the features in the men’s suits, is still a very functional, stylish suit that recently kept my skinny, Californian daughter in law toasty warm on her first ever ice fishing adventure! Its construction is excellent, and really looks like a suit cut specifically for the ladies.

Tom Gruenwald and HT have done their homework in the design of this Polar Fire clothing.  Don’t overlook them if considering new winter outerwear.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.