Author Topic: Jigging Plastics  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Ice Rambo

• IceShanty Rookie
Jigging Plastics
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 01:43 PM »
When jigging plastics what is the best rod to be using, a noodle rod or graphite rod? I have been using a quiverstick and it seems to work pretty well with a tungsten jig tipped w/ a plastic tail but the fish seem to hit really fast and if you don't set the hook right away you miss them or perhaps I'm just dealing with a bunch of smaller panfish that are hard to hook anyways? Just looking for any ideas or tactics that others are successful with. Thanks!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigging Plastics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Whatever you're comfortable with, I use Ice Blues in all lengths UL and L but understand them. Might be the line you're using. Fluoro tends to hang straighter and lets you know quicker anything that hits the bait. Mono tends to hang looser and stretches on hook set, might just be that 1/4 second late feeling it on quick hitters, usually suicidal dinks but not always

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:59 PM »
My rods that I use for Gills only the last 1/4 or less of the tip is very UL and I use very light fluorocarbon line,  heaviest is 2lb. I am a line and tip watcher once you get the hang of it you can hook them even before they bite!
You have to match the rod to the fish as well as the line and lures. Only 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish and its because of them paying attention to details.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:03 PM »
I use light action graphite rod, seems to me the fish I miss are smaller and not getting the jig all the way in there mouth.

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:04 PM »
one thing you can do is get a spring bobber or make two kinks in your line by bending it and squeezing for a few seconds which makes a z shape in the line and acts like bite indicator.  Last weekend i got into some crappie that were actually hitting up so the spring was actually straightening for a second, which is really hard to feel.  Sometime it helps

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:58 AM »
TUCR Precision Noodle is on my wish list...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.