Author Topic: 2.5mm Fiskas jigs. What to tip with?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline ovidiu30

• IceShanty Rookie
2.5mm Fiskas jigs. What to tip with?
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:06 PM »
I just bought 7 new fisksas jigs (2.5mm) and i'm wondering what to tip them with. I am looking to fish for some blue gills, crappies or perch. Although the 2.5mm might be too small for perch. Should I look to get some micro noodles or whatever they are called? I don't know much about this since I just recently got into ice fishing.

Also, are they even the right size or are they way to small? I know a lot of people use the 3mm but I decided to go with the smallest ones since people always say to go with the smallest jigs.

I'd appreciate some responses.

Thanks.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: 2.5mm Fiskas jigs. What to tip with?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:09 PM »
I usually tip them with a custom jigs n spins wedgee.  this is my go to for fish that are in a negative mood.  I use it with 2lb test.    If you thread the wedgee on there just right, you can slide it over the epoxy bead and that will hold it there like a collar. If I feel i need to, I will put one maggot on there.
http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/softbody/wedgee.html

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:26 PM »
The 2.5 is a little one, too small for crappie and perch IMO. micro noodles work great on them.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2013, 02:07 PM »
The 2.5 is a little one, too small for crappie and perch IMO. micro noodles work great on them.

I usually end up catching some of my biggest crappies and perch of the year on them...

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2013, 02:20 PM »
I can never hook them. I see a nice thick suspended line come in that I'm 99% sure is a crappie and I raise up to him and jig. He will slowly come up and suck it in, a miss almost every time. If I do make contact I feel him for a split second and he's gone. Now up to a 4mm and I've got him nearly every time.

Personally, I think a #20 hook is too small for crappie... even the 3mm at #16 is too small IMO. 4mm at #14 is just big enough to get a good hookup percentage.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline quivira kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:26 PM »
Half a maggot?

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:22 PM »
I would use one spike but most the time i only use 4 and 5mm even fore bluegills just put smaller baits on them

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:29 PM »
I use 4 and 5 mm for crappies and gills. Have some 3s but never have issues with 4s. If in negative mode I remove nuggie  and thread a single waxie on the whole hook. If not hitting plastics I pack euros on or shreaded waxies to get that scent in the water better and get better action from it. When ever you rig your jig check it in the top of the water. Check the action out.
Fishin red lines

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2013, 09:19 AM »
I can never hook them. I see a nice thick suspended line come in that I'm 99% sure is a crappie and I raise up to him and jig. He will slowly come up and suck it in, a miss almost every time. If I do make contact I feel him for a split second and he's gone. Now up to a 4mm and I've got him nearly every time.

Personally, I think a #20 hook is too small for crappie... even the 3mm at #16 is too small IMO. 4mm at #14 is just big enough to get a good hookup percentage.

I will agree that with normal jigs, I like to use a bigger hook.  For marmooskas, i use the size 10...but those fiskas hooks really set well into the fish's mouth, even crappies.  Would i rather use a bigger jig...yes, but there's something about that tiny tungsten head with that wedgee on there that gets the fish to bite when nothing else will.

This was my first crappie through the ice this year, caught on a 2.5mm fiska with a wedgee

Offline Itinerant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:29 AM »
I'm with Big Red on this, I use the 2.5's tipped with very small plastics when it's a tough bite and I've never had an issue hooking up on gills and perch with the occasional LMB thrown in. I don't fish Crappies with them but only because at the one lake where I fish them they're usually so deep the 2.5 just isn't efficient.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:43 AM »
x3, I use them often and they produce often. There is a difference in size though.... the epoxy is a bit bigger in size compared to the hand painted ones.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.