Author Topic: Filleting Perch  (Read 35699 times)

Offline Spindoctor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Filleting Perch
« Reply #30 on: Apr 23, 2007, 11:51 AM »
I have witnesses that have seen me fillet and skin 4 perch in one minute with an electric knife.
Then I go back and cut the ribs out.
Bud

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #31 on: Apr 24, 2007, 02:19 AM »
I have witnesses that have seen me fillet and skin 4 perch in one minute with an electric knife.
Bud
WHOA!!!!!.....Man I'd be sure to keep my fingers outta yer way!!!!!...LOL...WK.. ;D
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #32 on: Nov 25, 2007, 06:46 PM »
What happened to the pictorials for the fillet technique--last I saw they were great?

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 25, 2007, 07:20 PM »
I can do a perch in 25 seconds .. no bones no skin...  with a rapala electric knife.   I always cut the rib cage otu as I am going along so dont' know how many I could do in a minute, but thats over two fish completed a minute

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:42 PM »
Nice pictorial.  Just a quick note of caution before everyone follows all of your directions though...in some jurisdictions, you have to keep a patch of skin on any stored fillet so that the species and size is identifiable.  Here in Manitoba, completely skinning, then packaging for the freezer or whatever, is illegal.

This is a classic example of too much interference in our private lives by the government.  If someone can tell me I can't freeze my fish without a patch of skin left on it, I'd look at them straight in the eye and tell them they're trespassing on my private property and show them the way to the door.  Gees Louise, thank God for the freedom we still have.  Sorry, just bugs the he** out of me when I hear things like this.

pcsminer

« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2007, 10:57 AM »
just an observation for the guy who fillets 4 perch a minute then goes back to debone them isn't it easier to take out the ribs with the skin still on as it holds the flesh together better therefore less waste? at least thats what i find works the best! does anyone else do it this way or am i the black sheep

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2007, 11:29 AM »
No, you're not the black sheep, I always leave the skin on, then go back to cut out the ribs. Perch are about the easiest panfish to fillet IMO, so I never fret too much about speed. Rarely do I keep more than a few nice ones, so  how many fish I do in a given period of time isn't a big issue. Try a couple of methods, but go with what works best for you.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2007, 06:53 AM »
The fish line gals in Port Dover fillet up to 13 perch a minute, but they are scaled and headed.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.