Author Topic: chumming for perch?  (Read 29027 times)

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Re: chumming for perch?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Take some smelt and throw in a blender
add some olds spikes or waxxies.
threw in a little dog food.
added some old power bait sauce and a little water.
put on FRAPPE..or as i call it super high speed till it looks like a smoothie.(vomit)
pour in a tin can, and here's the trick, shove 1 rock from your diveway to the bottom and one down from the top about an inch.
put in the freezer(OR OUT SIDE) ......run under hot water and put a hole in the can bottom and this little bait bomb slides out.
The rocks take it to the bottom, being frozen it takes about 2-3 hrs to thaw. watched on the aqua vue and as the fish hit it little bits floated around. Worked really well. alot of the waxxie and spike parts floated up.
Just don't let your wife catsh ya use'in HER new blender!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline 1977 Walleye Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy, fishy, fishy!!!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:45 PM »
for some reason that last post reminded me of Brain tanning :o.......LOL
It's the hunt, not the harvest that matter's most!!

Offline shantyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:34 PM »
Not sure if it works for all fish but a buddy of mine took a can of tuna in oil with us to a pickerel tourney @ Loon Lake in central NY.  We spread the tuna out into the holes where the tipups were and sank the can (lid placed back in) into the holes we were jigging in.  We had a hell of a day running flags!  16 caught in 4 1/2 hours with a few perch mixed in as well.  Tight lines and full buckets! :D

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:19 AM »
A friend of mine did some chumming with oatmeal, the only thing that happened was that his Vex lit up like a XMas tree until all the pieces of oatmeal had reached bottom.
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:29 AM »
I use my chew just spit in the hole .Dont know if it attracts fish ,but I get em'
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline boober

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:39 AM »
SOME one tolded me to uesd hard bold egg'shells.peal and crumbel and send them down the hole.make sure chumming is leagle in your fishing lake. :) :tipup:stay on top and be safe

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:01 PM »
take a pint canning jar and poke some holes in the top, then put about 5 or 6 fatheads in it, tie a rope on it and send it down, keep it about a foot or foot 1/2 off the bottom.  tell mr officer that is the way you keep your bait fresh... lol.  not sure if it baiting if they cannot get the bait.  also i have bounced my auquaview off the bottom and had perch come in to check it out, it only seems to work a couple of times on each outing..   
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:59 AM »
or as i call it super high speed till it looks like a smoothie.(vomit)

NOW that's FUNNY..

I think I'll try that...I'll just use a Coffee Tin, and use that.

Neat Idea.. for sure..

Stan..

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:19 PM »

But I used a devise called a T R 7 Fishcall...In the instructions it said to use Rabbit Pellets...

I did that w/ my TR-7 and it worked..

..Since it's days are long gone, I still use Rabbit Pellets..and I can tell you this..I'll catch some of the nicest Gills and Perch around..

hey i have one of those fish calls on the shelf behind me box n all!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:11 PM »
If a little is good .....alot is better.

I tried the coffee can........ 8 inch can 6 inch hole >:(   broke it up, rock in other side, set in hole, it floats  and then stuff floated down. Clogged the vex.
Then moved :D
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
Re:chumming for perch?
« Reply #40 on: Dec 25, 2008, 05:20 PM »
I think the wife would kill me , and the cats would give me funny looks if i kept stealing they're cans of food to feed (entice) the fish   LOL

Turkeyhunter...You of all people should know this tip...Being a Turkey Hunter and all..

Don't pick up the Can of Can Food when the wife and cats are Watching You..

Like Turkey Hunting, you don't wave your Gun from left to right when there lookiing now do you..

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Stan

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:54 AM »
i use white rice cooked does not know if it brings them in but it will keep them around longer

Offline J FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • perch plucken
« Reply #42 on: Dec 26, 2008, 10:09 AM »
I like to chum with dead minnows. you have to pop the air sac and let than fall.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:09 PM »
Same as for burbot.  Get 2 packs of Ramen noodles and BEFORE cooking bust them up about waxie/spike size.  Cook them WITHOUT using the spice packet.  Drain them on paper towel and let them cool.  Put them in some little plastic container with a lid.  Add some type of fish oil, scent etc of your choice, mix that up good and then put lid on and then refigerate.  Take fishing with you and use a plastic spoon and drop a spoonful down the hole every 15 minutes or so.  Looks like spikes or waxies falling thru the water column AND they are fish friendly as the fish will eat them.  Works for gills, perch, and burbot. 

Offline legerski82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:45 AM »
  I have never tried it yet or know if it would be legal, but take a clear two liter soda bottle get wrapper off and poke small holes in it and fill with several small shiner minnows and tie rope and drill hole next to fishing holes and drop down.  I think it work well andin theory your just storing your bait.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:01 PM »
I USE GRITS OR SAVE UP MY DEAD MINNOWS AND PUT THEM IN A OLD BLENDER.(NOT THE ONE YOUR WIFE USES TO MAKE THERE MORNING SMOOTYS) ;D AND TAKE IT OUT WITH ME AND PUT SOME DOWN THE HOLE. IF YOU HAVE A AQUA VIEW OR SOMETHING YOU CAN WATCH THEM COME IN TO TAKE A LOOK

Offline big nor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:59 AM »
I usually use buckeyes i mush them together and send them down the hole the scales flake off and the fish start eating!!!!!!

Offline sinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • thin ice is such a rush
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:16 PM »
I've been using perch eggs . After I clean a pail of perch I save the eggs in a bag and chum the next time I fish . This seems to really work .

Offline perchman47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:25 PM »
i agree with snagger dipspit works. it helped me get two deer this year too. nothing like a pinch of cherry skoal to warm you up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.