Author Topic: poppin out perch eyes  (Read 61656 times)

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: poppin out perch eyes
« Reply #60 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:22 PM »
I never used eyes does this really work ??

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Absolutely!  My dad swears by it.  I try to out-fish him every time, and I always wind up putting on a perch eye in order to keep up.  I find it works best with a swedish pimple or something similar.  Careful, because pike hit this setup more often than typical panfish tackle.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2007, 06:21 AM »
I have been on lakes that they don't produce as good on, but for the most part, they're the best bait to use.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline mrandmrsperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Mar 17, 2007, 06:41 PM »
I had a baggie full of them from last year tucked away in the freezer for this season. Guess who found them this summer when she was cleaning out the freezer? If you want to **censored** off your wife, leave Perch eyeballs in the freezer.
  Just reading through. I can relate to this wife. Mr perch put his zipped lock bag of 1000 spikes in fridge one day, by the time mrs perch got home from work and started to make supper guess what I found, those little buggers crawling all over the place. Was not a good day for Mr. perch. Just had to share. Now they are stored in a jar with a tight lid.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Oct 02, 2007, 04:25 PM »
Perch eyes are awesome.  My bro showed me the thumb method for popping out the eyes and it is by far the quickest way to do it. 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:12 PM »
Didn't know about perch eyes as bait.  Will walleye go for eye bait also?

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #66 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:04 AM »
To answer Coldfinger - I've heard Walleye will go for perch eyes - not sure about their own species eyes.

Now - i don't know if I'm just to retarded to figure this out - but can someone post a picture (if people wont be to disturbed by the pics - which is doubtful considering the name of the thread) or a more in depth explanation - I'm going to try the eye trick this winter but don't want to carry around an extra tool or anything.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:31 PM »
ND.walleye

Just use a walleye size jig, grab  the jig by the head, use the U part of the hook place between the eyeball and skull, push down and use the U shape of the hook to scoop the eyeball out.... flip fish over and do the other side! The eyeballs pop out intact. 

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #68 on: Nov 03, 2007, 08:06 PM »
Ive found that some days the eye is king.On days when nothing else seems to work
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #69 on: Nov 03, 2007, 09:19 PM »
nd. walleye, I use walleye eyes for walleye and they work great especially at times when they are really finicky. I find with just a walleye eye on an 1/8-1/4 oz jig they go for the eye and get hooked almost every time as there isn't really anything for them to play around with.  I just scoop/pop them out with my thumb, and with a little practice you won't ruin them.  I actually use alot more walleye eyes for bait than perch eyes.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Nov 03, 2007, 10:44 PM »
Every fall I save some smaller walleye eyes useing the thumb method as well and throw them in the freezer for ice fishing. Sometimes I prefer tipping my jigs(jig-n-rap, castmaster)  with them rather than a minnow head. I am able use them over and over rather than diggin for another minnow and pinching of the head when the bite is hot- I don't get robbed as often as using a minnow head either. I will use a perch eye sometimes, but I prefer a walleye eye when available. I hook them through the back of the eye where there is more fatty tissue. They do work great!!!!

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Nov 14, 2007, 01:47 PM »
I agree.  I've had days where the eye will stay on the treble hook of a pimple through 20 fish and never need changed.  If you can hook it in the fatty tissue behind the eye and not pop it, it will stay on forever.  I seem to have less missed fish as well.
I've used a drinking straw (same size as the eye), pencil knife blade, and the u part of a hook.  I haven't been successful at the thumb technique though.  I always seem to pop them.
Nick

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Nov 15, 2007, 03:48 PM »
to get whole eyes use two thumbs and partially crush the skull.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Nov 17, 2007, 05:26 AM »
Oh yah,  forgot to mention, I use my electric knife to cut into the skull,as well, around the upper orbit of the eye before popping them out with the thumb

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Nov 22, 2007, 09:36 AM »
All thumbs here!

Offline Hightekrednek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 04, 2007, 02:38 PM »
I usually just use one of my keys.  works like a charm.

Caution!  Do not attempt over ice hole! :nono:

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 06, 2007, 01:02 PM »
I just hook the jig through the middle of the eye, twist, and gently pull.  You get the whole eye (if you're careful) plus the nerve.  I never understood why some people carry extra gear out on the ice when that works almost as well ... but I guess I'm not a perfectionist :)

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:21 PM »
Eyes work great, gettin them out ain't no problem. Want to keep them fresh and ready on the ice. Store the in your mouth! I'm not kidding, got a couple buddies that do it, NOT ME. One had his 9 yr old daughter with him and set up his uncle. Girl walked over an asked uncle Robbie if he needed a fresh eye. Rob said yup, she spit it out in her hand and tryed to hand it to him. He lost his lunch on the spot!

Offline enternamehere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 15, 2007, 10:53 PM »
Eyes work great, gettin them out ain't no problem. Want to keep them fresh and ready on the ice. Store the in your mouth! I'm not kidding, got a couple buddies that do it, NOT ME. One had his 9 yr old daughter with him and set up his uncle. Girl walked over an asked uncle Robbie if he needed a fresh eye. Rob said yup, she spit it out in her hand and tryed to hand it to him. He lost his lunch on the spot!
thats one of the nastiest things ive heard

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:12 AM »
I was never a believer that a perch would bite a perch eye.Well went out fishin on thurs and that changed.THey wouldnt take a minnow or spikes so i popped out an eye and caught 6 on one eye.Made a believer out of me ;D

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:21 PM »
i have a personal technique that i bet no one has tried
1.try to cut out perch eye with knife
2.fail miserably reducing eye to a gooey mess
3.repeat process on other eye
4.ask my fishing partner what their technique is and have them demonstrate
5.say thanks bait hook and resume fishing
works well if fishing with your father/other relative who is often a fishing partner
if fishing alone cut it out with a pocketknife/steak knife/whatever other sharp utensil you might have lying within reach

Offline PACKMAN241982

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THE BEERS SLUSHY GET A STRAW! FLATLANDER
« Reply #81 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:27 PM »
All thumbs here!
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!!

Offline zimmerDN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:24 PM »
How do you hook the eye?

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 03, 2008, 02:20 PM »
hook the eye in the membrane as not to pop it.  it will stay on for a good 10 fish if not more like this.

Offline Gusman14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 03, 2008, 02:22 PM »

Now thats good comedy!

Offline Gusman14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 03, 2008, 02:27 PM »
I use the thumb, its just so fast.  I usually pop the eye out of the first perch I catch, if I'm somewhere that I know that's an effective bait.  Not usually a keeper, so I toss 'em back in the hole, and they swim right away.  I figure a pike will be happy to find a perch like that, so its not a total waste.  If you think I'm a meanie, look at how we treat those shiners on our tipups. 

But the darn perch swims in a circle all day then.

Offline rocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:09 PM »
thumb trick works good for me but sometimes i have used a swedish pimple to dig the eye out

Offline matty23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • gone fishing...........
« Reply #87 on: Dec 29, 2008, 07:13 PM »
saw a guys use 1/4 copper tubing with one end cut on a 45 degree angle to take the eyes out........ perch eyes work great if taken out correctly....... had one on just about a whole season if done right....
matty23

Offline shootnmiss09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:31 PM »
i was wondering if anyone had a picture of the lead depthfinder with perch eye removal tool on other end? I want to see waht it looks like thanks?

anyone know if you can use perch eyes in Minnesota legally?

thanks
$~I'd Rather be FISHING right now~$

~IcE FiShErMeN wAlK oN wAtEr~

"Here's the deal...I'm the best there is!" -Ricky Bobby

Offline J FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • perch plucken
« Reply #89 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:26 PM »
The ol thumb method works for me. Nothin like a perch eye on a hail gets um every time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.