Author Topic: Forceps  (Read 1391 times)

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
Forceps
« on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:20 PM »
 Would these forceps work good for pike? I don't have a picture but they are 5.5" inches long with a bent nose.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Forceps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:06 PM »
It would all depend on the size Pike you're catching. I wouldn't use anything that small unless you use a pair of jaw spreaders. We use Octopus hooks and they are almost always hooked in the jaw so my 7" Forceps work perfectly if needed.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2013, 04:47 AM »
I have a bent  long nose that's about 12". I have never had to stick the whole thing in but it is nice to know if you had to go deeper you could.

WS

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:21 PM »
I have all different sizes and kinds of forceps, but for big toothy critters like northern and musky I much prefer my bent tip long handled needle nose pliers.  Super easy to get the hooks out and keep the digits well away from the pointy ends.  I just use cheap Harbor Freight pliers, so they're cheap to replace if they go for a swim.

These:  http://www.harborfreight.com/11-inch-long-reach-needlenose-pliers-with-45-offset-jaws-39537.html

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:38 AM »
id go with a longer pair. I had to dig a treble out of the throat of a pike my buddy caught, and even with the jaw spreader, i was cutting my knuckles up on the teeth thay have on the roof of their mouth...the 5.5" pair is perfect for everything else though!
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.