The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: MONKTON POND FRABIL SHANTY  (Read 2330 times)

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
MONKTON POND FRABIL SHANTY
« on: Feb 08, 2023, 01:39 PM »
Someone left a frabil shanty on Monkton pond . It’s been here for a few days and has collapsed leaving all your gear out on the ice next to it. You should come get it before someone less than honest sees it. Hope this gets seen by the right person

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: MONKTON POND FRABIL SHANTY
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2023, 07:04 PM »
Someone left a frabil shanty on Monkton pond . It’s been here for a few days and has collapsed leaving all your gear out on the ice next to it. You should come get it before someone less than honest sees it. Hope this gets seen by the right person
I hope there's not a person inside
Fish on

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2023, 10:35 PM »
Obviously there wasn’t or I wouldn’t be posting about it here. Just trying to help a fellow angler
Strange reply by the way

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2023, 06:48 AM »
I suppose this is an example as to why you should have your name on your shanty. I found out a few years ago it is now a requirement on portable shanty's as it has always been for shantys left on the ice for the season.

Offline fatmattyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2023, 10:16 AM »
Finally had to register for an account after lurking for many years. 
I appreciate all of your insight and info.

I think the comment about there not being someone inside assumed you hadn't checked.  Would be sad to hear of someone passing away out on the ice. 
I'm glad you made sure no one was out there, thank you for that.

Question about needing to label a portable shanty - I'll read the regs, but just to ask - is this a requirement if you're not leaving the shanty out there?
Put a different way, if I just use it during the day and then tear it back down and am near it the whole time, does it need to be labeled? 
I seem to recall my portable has a little clear plastic pocket that's probably meant to be used for this purpose.

Thanks again everyone and stay safe out there.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2023, 10:22 AM »
Yes it is required by law and has been for some time. I was warned by a warden many years ago (10+) that even if you took it home every time it need to have a name and address on it. Not necessarily a phone # but that would be the easiest way for a stranger to contact you. Most portables I have owned come with a see through flap you can attach to the outside. I used to just put the previous years license in there but a piece of cardboard with sharpie work also. Not likely something they will fine you for I assume but just easier to avoid the conversation all together.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2023, 10:33 AM »
20 something years of ice fisbing up there and have never been checked for a license let alone a name on my flip or pop up!  Have seen people shooting H next to my truck though.  God bless vt.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2023, 10:43 AM »
I don’t think drug use is a vermont problem. Pretty sure that goes on nation wide. It wasn’t there that I was told about the name on my shanty it was on lake dunmore. I guess you just have good timing bc ive also been fishing There for many years and have been checked for license and bait slip multiple times.  As for the parking lot “issues” at least you can see your vehicle from anywhere on the pond pretty much. There’s always been a lot of people coming and going that definitely aren’t there to fish though. That can be said for most acceses unfortunately

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:43 AM »

Offline kej06181

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:20 PM »
How about something from this decade...
cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/drug_poisoning_mortality/drug_poisoning.htm
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/overdose/top-10-us-states

Not saying, its not an issue... but this would say what EyERipLip was getting at.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:42 PM »
Gee don't see VT in the top 10   ;D

Offline Obi96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:35 PM »
Question about needing to label a portable shanty - I'll read the regs, but just to ask - is this a requirement if you're not leaving the shanty out there?

I did. Seeing a pop up shelter get blown a half mile down Willoughby a few years ago convinced me it was a good idea.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:52 PM »
I had a warden give me 2 minutes to correct the lack of address prior to getting ticketed. I had a business card
that was acceptable.

Offline kej06181

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2023, 08:57 PM »
Does anyone know how the ice on Monkton pond is looking, after the past couple day? Was debating going out there, Just to get out fishing.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:24 PM »
I’m sure it’s fine was 8-10” on Wednesday however with this weather be cautious and check often anywhere you go. Good luck

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:28 PM »
And thanks for the info no body asked for low accord. If you want to argue with strangers online Facebook is probably your best bet. If your concerned with the amount of “h users” in vermont there is plenty of other states to fish in. Good luck on the ice.

Offline kej06181

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2023, 08:34 AM »
Thanks eyeriplip, appreciate the ice info!

Offline fatmattyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2023, 04:49 PM »
Thanks for the ice update, and the regs on shanty labeling.  I'll have to put my info on my shanty. 
Hearing that two more gentlemen went through today on Keeler's, I'm not sure my hearts really in it trying to get out there tomorrow. 
First the other gentleman earlier this week, and now these two guys.  Sad day.
This weather just hasn't been cooperating.  Stay safe out there everyone.

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2023, 07:44 PM »
Thanks for the ice update, and the regs on shanty labeling.  I'll have to put my info on my shanty. 
Hearing that two more gentlemen went through today on Keeler's, I'm not sure my hearts really in it trying to get out there tomorrow. 
First the other gentleman earlier this week, and now these two guys.  Sad day.
This weather just hasn't been cooperating.  Stay safe out there everyone.

Couldn’t agree more…..this has been the worst year for ice fishing that I can remember and with multiple days coming up near 50 I think the decent spots around are going to turn on us as well.
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2023, 02:46 PM »
And thanks for the info no body asked for low accord. If you want to argue with strangers online Facebook is probably your best bet. If your concerned with the amount of “h users” in vermont there is plenty of other states to fish in. Good luck on the ice.

Just a fun anecdote, I dont care about those zombies.  Just worth noting that ive seen it more than once and would hate to see anyones crap go missing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.