Author Topic: Golden Shiners  (Read 5100 times)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Golden Shiners
« on: Nov 03, 2022, 03:21 PM »
I am not on Facebook but a buddy sent me this.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Golden Shiners
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2022, 06:42 AM »
He mentioned a storefront, where is he located?  How can I contact him to purchase?

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2022, 07:21 AM »

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2022, 08:37 AM »
I've seen this on instagram.  Is it legal to sell them in CT?
westernmas on the finder

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2022, 01:46 PM »
Good luck getting bait from him. After many attempts to do business and pick up bait from him he has yet to come thru. Dave if you see this, please call me back!! Lol!
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2022, 02:48 PM »
I don’t know who Dave is but it sounds like you are saying that you can’t but golden shiners at the business in Portland?  Is this true?

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2022, 05:07 PM »
I don’t know who Dave is but it sounds like you are saying that you can’t but golden shiners at the business in Portland?  Is this true?

You’re mistaking one business with another. I don’t believe they have any association.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2022, 05:43 PM »
BDailey, thank you for the clarification I was hoping that was the situation.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2022, 06:55 PM »
You definatly CAN buy goldens in CT. but not in Mass...I have been buying them from a few different legal bait shops in CT. Dave is a great guy, I called him and he said come up today so I did and his bait was all sized and purged...excellent bait and a great guy. I have been holding them for over 3 weeks with a ink bird, freezer, and a filter/airator with zero loss. Dave has all different sizes!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2022, 12:12 PM »
You can buy them however if they are wild from CT they havent been certified diesease free.  Its a big thing and Ive seen a friend go through the process with his shop.   The state comes and inspects.  You MUST provide documentation from the bait distributor your purchased from.  Either from granby or hogs island.

As far as I know Granby doesn't carry goldens.  So what is the bait shop that is being referenced that sells them legally?  I knew they were available just over the line but that shop closed.
westernmas on the finder

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2022, 12:30 PM »
Where is there a bait shop in Granby?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2022, 12:40 PM »
Where is there a bait shop in Granby?

Granby, MA...Supplier for a lot of shops in the area.
westernmas on the finder

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2022, 03:12 PM »
In reading the regs for CT it does seem like quite the grey area unless they get you with section C-1.  I don't know what "source of each consignment of bait received by the licensee" means exactly.  If that means from a certified dealer then seems illegal unless they are sourced from Hog Island.  If "taken commercially" means by catching them via net or line, is documented as such and disclosed as a source of consignment then perhaps its legal.

(c) Each bait dealer shall keep the following records on forms furnished by the department:
(1) the date and quantity by species and source of each consignment of bait received by the licensee;
(2) the total annual sale of bait by species made by the licensee during the license period. The above records shall be filed with the department within thirty days after the expiration date of the license.

Golden shiner is however listed at the top of the approved species list.

(a) The species listed in this subsection, to the exclusion of all other species, may be taken commercially in the inland district under an inland commercial bait license, or in the marine district under a marine commercial bait license. These species may also be offered for sale as bait species under a bait dealers license.
(1) golden shiner or "pond shiner" (Notemigonus crysoleucas);

Isn't Bogtrotter a lawyer?  We need an expert's opinion.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2022, 07:54 AM »
Double checked.  State says its fine.

Offline MassPikeAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Snag'em and drag'em
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2023, 11:37 AM »
Good luck getting bait from him. After many attempts to do business and pick up bait from him he has yet to come thru. Dave if you see this, please call me back!! Lol!
    ok so I'm not the only one having a hard time getting ahold of him

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2023, 10:34 PM »
Finally caught up with Dave from native baits this eve. What a good dude, he has a superb operation with a large variety of baits & very fair on price.  Yes he’s tough to get ahold of but be persistent with the phone calls, he’s a hustler and works long hours to keep up with the demands.  Evenings seem to be the best time to link up with him.   

Thanks again Dave.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2023, 05:08 PM »
Finally caught up with Dave from native baits this eve. What a good dude, he has a superb operation with a large variety of baits & very fair on price.  Yes he’s tough to get ahold of but be persistent with the phone calls, he’s a hustler and works long hours to keep up with the demands.  Evenings seem to be the best time to link up with him.   

Thanks again Dave.

Glad you got a hold of him, he is a great guy with excellent bait. He jigs ebery one up himself so nights are a must. I would check with oldmanwilga to make sure its ok with him that you use the bait though since he is the expert!!!LOL
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2023, 09:12 PM »
Hey PapaSly, I’m willing to share. Hahaha! We still have some good weeks ahead for icefishing hopefully. See you fellas in the ice. Be safe and have a great weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.