The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!  (Read 25428 times)

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Great job building that. Nice video. :thumbsup:
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Very nice build.   Team DORA !!!!
I like it "Team Dora!!!!"  Merry Christmas everyone, Santa didn't bring me any ice ??? All open water here in Pa. I want to test this thing so bad it pains me, lol.  The temps are going to fall this week into the teens it shouldn't be long now. Once I drill some holes and make sure the gear ratio is perfect and nothing needs changed I plan to order my first round of parts to make a few. With the early ice we had in Nov. I thought I would have had everything thoroughly tested by now...... Can't change mother nature I guess.  Anyway, Thanks for all the interest and support in Dora, it keeps me motivated to push and make more.  I was in a field and steam store over the past few days in my area, and was totally disappointed in their selection of ice gear. I thought to myself if Dora was on the shelf I would buy it in a second over the other options they had.  It is like comparing Zebco to St. Croix.  If you can offer quality and versatility, the orders will come. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Very nice, put me on the list...
I have seen other reduction set ups before, but a quick search did not turn any up... I believe they came in to the market to soon, but now that the drills are as good as they are, Dora will work great!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2014, 04:22 PM »
Personally I like the Orange. It's not a Deer anyway it's a DORA.

Understandable. Lets hope it runs like a deere.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:42 PM »
I know I had seen another out there, The ice kicker II;
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ice-Kicker/156920947669144
Also on ebag for 75.00...

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2014, 12:44 AM »
Yeah, I did see that, somebody had mentioned it in the clam review thread.   I thought it was well built but poorly thought out. To explain...... It doesn't mount the drill, causing you to put unneeded weight on the drill. There is only one very thin handle to hold onto while cutting.    I could only imagine it spinning and breaking your wrist.  Plus it looked as if it had a 5/16" or 3/8"  bolt to go into the chuck of the drill. That would get tore up in a hurry I think. Not talking crap, just think it could be better.  Add mounting the drill, add two comfortable handles, throttle control on one of the handles, Grade 8 axles, and replaceable drive chuck and you have Dora.  Like I said, I am not talking crap on other products, just noticed a few things that need some TLC, lol.   

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2014, 12:53 AM »
By the way...... Temps look awesome this week for some ice finally here in Pa!!!!! Temps in the teens, I am going to be able to test it and get some vids next week hopefully. As soon as that ice is thick enough to drill through. I am in the process of making a jig mold right now,making molds is new stuff to me, hope it works....... ::)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2014, 05:45 AM »
I like the looks of the Dora much better and hope to get to use one in the not so distant future!

Offline Slimbobbin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2014, 06:57 AM »
That looks like just what I'm looking for so I don't need to go buy a high priced drill great job
lifes a little sweeter with ice

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 29, 2014, 08:07 AM »
I will still use a quality drill, but I think It will be able to cut a 8' easier than a straight drill...

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 29, 2014, 10:19 AM »
I am starting to look around for a decent deal on an 20v Xr "dcd995" I think.  I was designing a custom battery pack for my 18v xrps that was the same physical size but packed with 4500 mah cells which would give me 4.5ah at 18v instead of 2.6 from the nicad xrp bat.  20% loss at 2000 cycles.  Then I though I am building x2 4.5 ah packs and it would cost about $90 to build them but 9 ah in 2 bat.......Awesome, and cheaper than I can buy new xrp packs.  Then I thought of brushless technology and saving 57% of energy over brushed motors!  Then Dewalt had to do it.... 5ah batteries plus lith ion is not effected by temps all the way down to 0 f Ni cad drops voltage after 20 f so I just keep my packs warm.  I also considered the mil fuel with 4.0 ah bat.  The mil out performs dewalt in hammer mode drilling concrete, but the dewalt crushed mil into wood.  Wood is a better test for a drill than concrete I think. Mil just has a better hammer action.  I have been a loyal dewalt owner for almost 20 years, hard to see me using any other drill.  This lith ion, brushless Xr stuff is cool, and would make the perfect powerplant for Dora. Till then 18v xrp with custom 4.5ah pack will do just fine.....LOL!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 29, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Looks Good, can't wait til we get some ice in Pa so I can see it work on the ice..   :tipup:

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 29, 2014, 12:17 PM »
That's awesome!!!

You going to make some more to sell?

<*)))>{

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 29, 2014, 07:52 PM »
That's awesome!!!

You going to make some more to sell?

<*)))>{

I would love to make more of these,  this one is my prototype.  Today I swapped out the grade 8 bolt on the drill side, that had a replaceable chuck, for something better..........  I used a 1/2"x 6" long socket extension and mated the smaller drive gear to it, that way it is not a factory replacement part if you need to replace it.  It will save so much time in making parts and is a way better setup than b4.... If the chuck going into the drill gets tore up it is as simple as going to any autoparts store and buying a 1/2" drive 10mm allen socket and pop it on.  They make those allen sockets to hold some serious torque and it is already perfectly inline 6 sided.  It could save a fisherman weeks of shipping production parts too!!!!  It works Awesome,  replaceable in seconds for a few bucks!  It took a few hours to reverse engineer but it really is nice.  Now to make the handle slide up and down with a quick release, a seat post clamp should do, so it fits any drill. So far I have have  a 18v xrp, 20v compact, and a hitachi 18v lith ion all fit just need to make the height of the drill mount adjustable about an inch or so.  Ice will be here this week and next week I will hopefully be drilling holes and ordering some parts!  Good thing I didn't order them already, or I would have a shop full of extra crap...... what else is new. lol

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #44 on: Dec 30, 2014, 05:51 PM »
 Great idea. I have one suggestion. More guarding. If some kid comes up with a scarf on, and stands on the wrong side. Yikes. Enough said.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:18 AM »
I never thought of a scarf.....Thanks.  I looked at it like a bike with no chain guard,  I have been riding bikes for 25 years and never not one time has the chain ever drew blood and your leg is within a inch of the chain. My pants would get stuck from time to time but have never been injured. On the production model I will put a full guard just for saftey.  Thanks for all the suggestions, it is the input of all of you that will make Dora the key tool for using a cordless drill as an ice auger.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:29 AM »
 Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the strings on hoodies either.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:44 AM »
 Your idea has me thinking, I have an old jiffy 30. It has almost everything you need already, including the enclosed gearbox. May have to cannibalize it if I want to go to a bigger hole diameter. A pretty simple conversion kit, and you go from the Harley-Davidson (noisy) of ice augers to electric. There are lots of people who own these. 

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 31, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Your idea has me thinking, I have an old jiffy 30. It has almost everything you need already, including the enclosed gearbox. May have to cannibalize it if I want to go to a bigger hole diameter. A pretty simple conversion kit, and you go from the Harley-Davidson (noisy) of ice augers to electric. There are lots of people who own these.
I have thought of this as well. Planetary gears could serve the same purpose and reduce the size of the transmission while eliminating safety concerns. DORA is a great idea for the Dewalt drills. Over the years, I have torn up several 18v. And 36v. dewalt gear boxes. Great job PaWhiskerWacker!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 31, 2014, 11:48 AM »
Glad to hear your thinking about making a production of it!!!!

I personally prefer chain drive, sprockets and chains are easy to find/fix compared to gears...

Have you looked into the new chain pitch they use on BMX bikes? You sprockets could only be half the size, with the same ratio...

<*)))>{

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 31, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Glad to hear your thinking about making a production of it!!!!

I personally prefer chain drive, sprockets and chains are easy to find/fix compared to gears...

Have you looked into the new chain pitch they use on BMX bikes? You sprockets could only be half the size, with the same ratio...

<*)))>{
Interesting!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 31, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Here's someone who has a fairly compact 7:1 reduction on his drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBqx4sh14w

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 31, 2014, 05:30 PM »

That is pretty cool, 7 to 1 is too slow though, 450 rpm in speed 1 where torque is greatest, is only 64 rpm at the bit, at 2000 rpm that is 285rpm at the bit, a little fast.  You would need a 3 speed drill for sure.  Not all drills are 3 speed.  That thing is really cool.  Make one around 2.5 or 3 to 1 and that would be perfect.  Not too fast not to slow.  The only down side is, try to fix it if it breaks down.  Seems a bit complicated to repair. Every piece is a factory order.  If you can get me more info on that reduction unit that would be cool.  I just think that a chain drive is a more effective method of a 2.5 gear reduction. Simple and easy to repair. A product being serviceable means alot to me.  I am a contractor, and I really abuse my gear. Nothing ticks me off more than a broken tool I can not get a part for. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Dec 31, 2014, 05:38 PM »

Now all he needs is One leg to be shorter then the other so he can drill a straight hole.
I can drill by hand a lot faster then he did.
<===Lefty===

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Search around for information on Hougen Holcutter Speed Reducer.  Not sure if they are still made or not, and looks like they cost about $200.  The ones I found info on were 4:1.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Sweet unit, you still have to remove the chuck of the drill.  Then you loose the ability to take your drill to work easily.  It would take a little work to get an auger bit to attach but it could be done.  I didn't see any pricing info.  It has serious potential.  Needs a few tweeks to be an ice auger, but I like it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Dec 31, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I just the Hougen Holcutter Speed Reducer up and found them from $175 to $195. Pretty pricey to make it work.
<===Lefty===

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 31, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Yeah, $200 plus a $300 drill and $80 auger =$580 invested and drills usually come with the smaller bat packs, add a few batteries and you could just buy a electra lazer.  Plus it would need to be modified to fit an auger???$  It is a great idea just not cost effective. Thanks for the info

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 31, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I am sure your Dora is going to work out just fine for you. Glad to see people saving money. I try but when you get old you just spend it.
<===Lefty===

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:29 PM »
1st successful test of Dora tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!  I fabricated the adjustable height drill mount today, worked perfect, I have tried 6 different drills in it now and all fit with no issues!  My home lake has been building ice like crazy for 3 days now, so I waited until dark...."so nobody called 911 on me for being out there,"  or called the funny farm, lol.  I drilled about eight holes in 3" of ice, just to check how she worked.  Absolutely no motor bog at any speed! Not even the slightest hesitation.  It was perfect! Everything I ever wanted in an auger, no joke! It cuts like a hot knife through butter.  2.5 to 1 is perfect.  Powerful and easy to use, just as I hoped.  I am going to shoot a video tomarrow morning, hopefully the ice will be stable.  The ice today was 3" thick black ice but it was not liking my weight too much.  They are calling for a couple warm days and then cold in the teens and single digits!!! Dora has a fever and the only prescription is thick ice!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.