Author Topic: Sportsman and a 5x10 trailer  (Read 2373 times)

Offline MooseKnuckleVI

• IceShanty Rookie
Sportsman and a 5x10 trailer
« on: Nov 17, 2015, 07:54 AM »
I have a 2015 sportsman 570. I want to get a small enclosed trailer to haul it to camp. I have 5 hours+ on the interstate to get there. So I'm not real interested in using an open trailer. Since it's such a long trip I don't plan on driving either of my pickups. Want to use my wife's little Jeep cherokee. Want to keep the trailer as small as possible. This little trailer will pretty much be dedicated to going to camp behind the cherokee. I might even use it occasionally in the summer since the trunk is so small on the jeep. I have 2 other big trailers at home to use for other stuff. My question is does anyone use a 5x10 to haul a sportsman? Website says the sportsman is 48" wide. An enclosed trailer's door is usually 11" shorter than the width. That puts the ramp door at 49". That's going to be pretty snug, which is fine as long as it fits in there without the tires scrubbing the door. I'd prefer to not have to go with a 6x10 unless I have to. Best thing to do would be to actually measure the quad and a trailer, but I haven't gotten to that yet. Figured I'd ask here too. The jeep btw pulled my boat home this Oct with no issues. It was downright comfortable actually. It has the towing package with trans cooler. The mileage dropped from 31 to 14 though (still better than a pickup and rides way better. That's why I want to keep the trailer small as possible.

Thanks

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Sportsman and a 5x10 trailer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2015, 06:41 PM »
I would go and measure the actual door opening just for peace of mind.  I use a 6x10 cuz I couldn't squeeze my far arse off the ATV and out the back once I had it in the trailer.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2015, 11:18 AM »
I have a 6x12 with a V nose....It's tight getting on and off the quad with a 6 footer...A 5 footer is going to leave you less than 6 inches on each side..If you decide to run chains or bigger tires you may not get it through the door...
I think you could do it it will just be a challenge getting on and off...Make sure you get a side door so you can tie it down on the front and load gear...
How about using a 2 place drive on drive off clam shell snowmobile trailer...? They haul super easy and can be found used cheap....Then you would have room for your Ice sled..

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2015, 12:23 PM »
That small of a trailer won't allow much maneuvering to tie your quad down.  It wouldn't be advisable to just park the quad inside without doing so.   You might be surprised at how much they bounce around even tied down if not done properly.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2015, 01:04 PM »
I've had few Sportsmans over the years, they really haven't changed much dimensionally since 05' and while they are around 47.5" wide on stock tires and steel wheels that number changes very quickly when you turn the bars. Even running the tires with very little pressure (which helps a lot in the snow) will put you over 50" where the tires bulge at the bottom... My 09' 800 is on Polaris aluminum wheels and 28"x10" and 28"x12" tires is about 53" wide, my 07' 800 was on 32"s and it was almost 55" wide. Just some more stuff to consider... And I know a lot of guys like to leave there stuff stock but when talking wheelers in the snow, after market tires or chains are almost a must have.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Badgerstate36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Its going to be tight.  You might want to measure it just to be sure but you might be better off just to haul it with your truck.  The gas milage difference isnt going to be that much anyways.  Pulling a trailer with that little Jeep is going to hurt its gas milage.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:33 AM »
enclosed car haulers are 8ft wide so you don't have to crawl out the windows to get out. Measure your quad, make it easy on yourself to get on and off.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Ok, similar question.  I want to find an enclosed trailer that will fit in my garage.  I measured the height at 82 inches.  I really can't leave the trailer outside in my neighborhood, and would like to keep it as small as I can.  It is a 700 2 up.  Thanks for any tips.

Fs

Offline MooseKnuckleVI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:24 AM »
went to the local trailer place last week. Was hoping to work a deal on a trade for a landscape trailer I want to get rid of. That didnt work out, but I looked at the Haulmark passports and thrifty. The thrifty is $400 cheaper and seems like a better trailer. Only difference I could see was radial vs bias-ply tires. But they gotta be scrimping somewhere to save 400 bucks.

Anyway, he had some different sizes and I took the polaris with me. the sportsman is 46" wide, a 5x10 trailers ramp door has 48" between the lift cables. So it'll fit but it;ll be tight. The barn doors are 52" wide, and about 300 cheaper in price. Probably going to go with the barn doors for added width and just take my alum ramps along, no biggie.

The 6x10's were nice but I def don't want to pull one that wide with that cherokee. It'd just be overkill for my needs.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:49 PM »
Thanks for the update Knuckle.  Did you happen to measure the height on the two you checked out?

Fs

Offline MooseKnuckleVI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2015, 01:13 PM »
yeah but don't remember what it was. Not all that important for what I'll be using it for. Will probably have to duck my head a bit to drive it in.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2015, 05:47 PM »
I went to look at some Legend Thunder trailers today, and found one that fits in the garage height, but the opening is only 55 inches high.  I measured the ATV at 53 inches to the top of the handlebars, minus the windshield.  I am not sure if I can duck enough to get it in and out easily, and still, at around 54 inches wide, there is not a lot of room in there other than to crawl over everything.  I am now considering a hi sided aluminum open trailer and a good travel cover like Cabelas.  I would hope that this would cut down on the salt kicking up.  Any thoughts anyone?

Fs

Offline MooseKnuckleVI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:19 AM »
can ya just push it in to load and unload?

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I think I could push it in and out, but getting around it to tie it down, etc., would be a pain.  I really wanted to get an enclosed, but wife and neighborhood says no to the driveway storage, and our garage door is only 82 inches.  Kinda sucks, but I think a good aluminum with 2 foot rails, and a solid cover should work for the limited hauling I do in crappy weather.  Better than the wimpy flat trailer I have which is completely exposed to the elements.  I have a 700 x2 ATV, and it weighs about 700 lbs, so pushing it isn't as easy as you might think.

Thanks for the tips, and it might have worked, but a lot of money still having to compromise.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.