Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

sharpening auger blades

(1/4) > >>

pigpen:
How do you all sharpen your auger blades, or do you just get new ones when the old ones dull.  Ive tinkered for years, trying to sharpen the blades on my mora, but I always just end up getting new ones.  Is there a trick, or is it all about getting the angle just right? Thanx

FullTmeDad:
If there's a trick, I haven't learned it yet. I just bought a hand held sharpener from Cabelas and I'll let you know how (if) it works. I usually send my blades in and have them re-sharpened professionally. Nothing worse that having a whole day on the ice blown because of a dull auger and thick ice.
FTD

fishercat:
It is all about the angle if you are off just a few degrees you will not cut through beans.  ::) ::) ::)

pigpen:

--- Quote from: fishercat on Jan 11, 2004, 12:58 PM ---It is all about the angle if you are off just a few degrees you will not cut through beans.  ::) ::) ::)

--- End quote ---

I hear that fishercat!  Is there a general rule as to what the proper angle should be?  I always seem to get my blades razor sharp, but the angle is always off, and the auger just walks all over the ice and barely shaves the surface.

Polar:
I send my blades in to Pembroke bait and tackle.About 6.50 to sharpen them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version