Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Eelpout

fishing ling at night

<< < (2/7) > >>

king_fish#1:
Thanks GEM_EYE_GUY for the information. I was also was wondering what color(s) of glow jig do u normally have the most succes with durning the nightor dusk for eyes or burbot.

gunguru300shorty:

--- Quote from: fishermanjake on Dec 07, 2003, 04:22 PM ---I fish burbot up here in fairbanks, and am quickly becoming the expert (not too much info for them up here or anywhere) but i love to fish for them and have learned alot.  I catch most of my burbot form dark to about 11 pm so go earlier in the night time.  I jig for them and have nearly exclusively jigged for them with an exception of 3 i caught on tipups (too much hassle 8)).  I use big jigs and glow in the dark softbaits tipped with whitefish (the bigger the better).  I'd say jig heads about 1-4 oz and 8-12 inch softbaits.  I jig rapidly, you will be suprized at how aggresive they are, we have had butbot that are maybe 18 inches long take the 4oz 10 inch baits.  But the average size we get is about 5-6 pounds depending on the size bait we use.  Sorry gunguru, i have to disagree with the bait,  I have found in nearly every predatory fish that fresh bait works the best.  The fresher the better, and the oillier the better.  Fresh oily fish draws the greatest attention and more agressive hits.  Just so you know i know what i'm talking about, I have caught 54 burbot since ice up this year, the biggest being 14.5 pounds.  Haven't got skunked for them this year either.

--- End quote ---
Hey... Thats why I got on this website ,to learn more. I had never guessed to try glow jigs but I'll be doin' er this year! And you are right about the oily and fresh baits now that I think of it. I usually fish for Cusk at night while I fish for Smelt and use my fresh smelt for bait with great results. However you must agree that what may work on one lake, may not work as well on another, and especially if you are in different parts of the country. I will definately try your suggestions this year as well. Thanks for the advice and good fishing! :D

fishermanjake:
sorry gunguru, i didn't mean to sound like such a know it all, thats my experience on the subject.  I've had bait go rank on me :-X and have never done good with it.  I always do the best with fresher bait.  But my dad used to fish sturgen on the columbia and they definately like the stinky bait ;D.  Old dead rotten shad, enough to make a guy puke.  that was back in the day 80s (i'm not real old yet) but my dad would have us pick up dead shad when we were fishing for bass, then he would brew them up. I do agree with you fully on different systems having different tecniques to catch the fish, but i would say to be on the safe side that if in doubt, use the fresh stuff.  You might even catch a big pike or walleye on what you use for burbot if your bait is fresh.  No walleye in alaska though, so its pike and burbot for me   :D

grumpymoe:
anytime i've fished on or very near bottom with ANYTHING i managed to nail burbot and especially at night-it can become quite busy at times :P :P :P

king_fish#1:
thanks grumpymoe what depth do u normally find burbot at and what do they normally hit on. and if u know, what time or just at night in general.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version