The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo  (Read 2679 times)

Brasileiro

Eskimo
« on: Nov 12, 2003, 04:47 PM »
I finally convinced my wife that I need a power auger.  I am still deciding between the Eskimo Barracuda 10" and the Eskimo Shark 10".  The Barracuda has a 3hp engine and the Shark has a 2.5hp.  But it looks like the shark has a higher rpm.  I am not aware of any other differences.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

camo_fish

Re:Eskimo
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2003, 06:59 PM »
I was researching a new auger, too. I found that Jiffy will out last the rest and have be around the longest, too. I'm getting the Jiffy 3hp, 9". I think the 10" is just a little to big. Have you ever stepped in a 10" on the ice, it's a good way to break an ankle or get a wet foot. But, if your after the monster fish 10" is the way to go, I've never had a problem getting any of my fish threw a 8" or 9" hole.
One mans opinion.  Good luck.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2003, 09:20 PM »
Here are some differences between the two. The Shark uses an Emak chainsaw engine which has a top engine rpm of 11,500. The drill rpm max is around 380. This unit with a 10" blade weighs about 31 pounds. The Barracuda plus(3 hp) uses a Tecumseh engine. The max engine rpm is 4500. The drill rpm max is around 280. This unit with a 10" blade weighs about 38 pounds. Lastly the shark will cost you about $50 more. Hope this helps.
Ken                                          

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2003, 02:52 AM »
I have a shark and like it alot. it cuts fast and smooth. the techumca motors seem to shake and vibrate alot. my cousin has a baracuda but he and I both like the shark best.

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2003, 06:20 PM »
i have a jiffy 3 horse 10 inch have had it for over 15 years it still starts first pull  i have only had to change plugs and sharpen blades in that time  it has been worth the money  friends have the other ones good but they like the jiffy but they cost more

trapdaddy21

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2003, 07:23 PM »
i agree with wallyguy, the jiffy costs more, but its worth it. i feel that when it comes to augers you get what you pay for. i have jiffy that is over 15 years old and it still runs like a champ, i wouldn't trade it for a new eskimo!

mooseslayer

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2003, 12:27 AM »
GOT A 10IN. SHARK I BOUGHT LAST YEAR AND I LOVE IT!IS A LITTLE LIGHTER THAN THE JIFFY 3HP AND CUTS QUICKER.WITH THE AMOUNT OF MOVING AROUND I DO IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.I HAD A 2HP ESKIMO BEFORE.IT CUT A LITTE SLOWER BUT STILL PERFORMED FLAWLESSLY.MY FATHER HAS A25YR OLD JIFFY. NEVER TOUCHED THE MOTOR AND ITS STILL IN SERVICE.ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR PREFFERENCE.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2003, 09:41 AM »
I will tell you one thing about the eskimo. if you get the quantam blades be sure to get some extra blades because if they get any nicks on the cutting edge it takes twice as long to cut a hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.