Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Battle of the battery powered augers: strikermaster vs ion

(1/5) > >>

Splattypus:
Preface: I got a gift card for Fleet Farm and planned to buy a battery powered 8in auger. The 24v strikemaster and the ion alpha in 8in are comparably priced at their current sales prices.

I was initially thinking a drill combo, but til I get a drill and, and an auger, I'm going to end up spending $100 more, easily.  While I need some power tools, I do t need them now and can wait.
---

I've seen how well the 40v strikemaster performs. It's impressive. Haven't seen an ion out to use in person, but the videos suggest they are equally impressive, if not more.

Comparing the differences is a little tricky though, between the brands, and even between the models within the brands.

I have gleaned that the primary difference be the ions is the alpha has a standard steel bit, the alpha+ has composite. Equating to a savings of about 4lbs and the expense of about $120.

The strikemaster has the lite-flite on the 24v, the Lazer auger (I do t really know what that means, in application). The 24v is a slightly small battery with less output, equating to about halved performance based on advertised inches-per-charge. They also appear a bit bulkier, and several pounds heavier than their respective ion counterparts.

What else am I missing? Which has better performance, longevity, and customer support? Where would your money go (hard-earned or ill-gotten)?  If I get a strikemaster, the bits are easily transferred to a drill setup right?

Cost is my primary focus, portability closely behind. All I really know is I'm done with with my manual auger. Hundreds of inches of holes this season have taught me I'm getting too old for this nonsense.

Splattypus:

Here's some  older (ion gen 2) comparisons I found that might be helpful to others in the same boat as me.

https://www.fishingduo.com/ion-ice-auger-vs-strikemaster-your-guide-to-picking-the-best/

https://www.fishingduo.com/strikemaster-24v-ice-auger-a-definitive-review/

The 24v might suit my purposes and budget the best... I hate to sacrifice battery life and general performance, but 30-50 holes a day is still a lot. Though by mid/late season it's not unrealistic to be drilling through 20 inches of ice around the MN metro area, much less if I were to take trips up north

hardwater diehard:
The ION Alpha seems to be the BIG BAD DOG for now ...note some are 10" augers ...I was impressed

&t=6s

Splattypus:
Yeah I was blown away by the ion 10s. It's way more auger than I personally need, but holy cow those things are incredible

Buckshots:
Don’t get the 24v strikemaster. They’re disappointing. Super slow.

Milwaukee 2904, 12ah battery, and 8” SM lite flite bit will drill faster than any auger you listed. I can easily get 1200+ inches of ice with that setup. The biggest positive on it is the 5 year warranty. The batteries have a great warranty too. Much better than the 1 year on all other setups.

I will say, that 10”ion is impressive. That’s a lot of ice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version