The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Frozen tailgate  (Read 1500 times)

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Frozen tailgate
« on: Dec 26, 2022, 07:57 AM »
The tonneau cover freezes to my tailgate in the type of weather we have recently had. It makes it hard to impossible to get the tailgate open. has anyone else had this problem? And does anyone have a remedy? Thanks.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frozen tailgate
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2022, 08:04 AM »
Try a silicone spray on the areas that get stuck. Make sure everything is dry before you spray or it will defeat the purpose. I usually do it in the late fall before we get the crazy storms and it seems to last all winter.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2022, 08:09 AM »
Yes I have. A thin coat of Vaseline does the trick.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2022, 08:48 AM »
Try a silicone spray on the areas that get stuck. Make sure everything is dry before you spray or it will defeat the purpose. I usually do it in the late fall before we get the crazy storms and it seems to last all winter.

Had the hatch on my Xterra freeze last season after an ice outing...it wasn't pretty I was able to load my gear into my SUV side door but my two man shelter had to ride on top ..only had my tow rope ..it wasnt pretty but did what I could to trek home only a 2 or so mile slow ride ...thank God for the snow bank making the lifting onto the roof a lil less cumbersome.

X2 on the silicone ...as a matter of fact my hatch froze up again with the recent flash freeze event ..thawed out in the sun and added some silicone.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2022, 10:43 AM »
Buy some 100% silicone grease.

Use it on your door seals and any of the foam weatherstripping.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline tvlle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2022, 09:02 AM »
Buy some 100% silicone grease.

Use it on your door seals and any of the foam weatherstripping.

50 year auto technician and if you use the silicone grease in the fall on all rubber weatherstripping it won't freeze all winter.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2023, 06:07 PM »
My truxedo does the same thing. I heard silicone spray helps but I’ve found that it’s water that freezes between the tailgate and rubber edging. I run my finger down between the edging and tailgate and give it won’t Fonzie tap to the top and it opens almost every time.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2023, 05:17 PM »
My truxedo does the same thing. I heard silicone spray helps but I’ve found that it’s water that freezes between the tailgate and rubber edging. I run my finger down between the edging and tailgate and give it won’t Fonzie tap to the top and it opens almost every time.
Truxedo….sounds fancy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.