The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Lithium Ion battery charging  (Read 1283 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lithium Ion battery charging
« on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:02 PM »
I read on line that the best practice for longer battery life is to keep them somewhere around 50% charged and definitely neither zero nor 100. For ice augers that is a bit tricky. We naturally want them at 100 before going out and the tendency is to use 1 batt until it's drained, not switch batts that are only partially drained. It is also convenient to keep them at 100 at home e.g. charge them back up shortly after your trip, rather than remember to do it the day or night before going.

What is your practice? Are you concerned at all about keeping them fully charged? TIA
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lithium Ion battery charging
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:51 PM »
I have several Milwaukee M18 and M12 tools.  For the most part, I charge the batteries as needed (I always have a few on-hand that are fully charged to swap if needed to complete a job).  For my ice auger drill (2804), I charge the battery (or batteries) after each outing.  I let them warm up to room temp first, then charge.  Definitely want the batteries at full charge before hitting the ice the next time.

Lithium-Ion batteries are very Private-proof when it comes to charging and today's chargers are sophisticated.  One would have to work hard to trash one by charging practices.

I heard something once about keeping these batteries at 50%-ish charge to prolong their life, BUT that was just for prolonged storage situations.  Every couple months or so, I round up my M12 and M18 batteries and cycle them thru a charge to prevent one from sitting around too long - likely unnecessary, but it is easy to do.  Most of the time in these cases, the charger goes Green Light right away b/c the battery did not need to be charged.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2022, 10:15 AM »
I have read the same, but I am way more concerned with my batteries being fully charged pre-trip than I am with having a little shorter working life with the batteries.  If I have to buy a battery one season sooner because of my not-so-great charging habits, I'm ok with that.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2022, 02:40 PM »
I have a Norsk battery and they say if you aren't going to use the battery right away don't fully charge it. Fully charge it before using. My 15ah Norsk only charges to 12.6 volts, so using a different brand of charger probably isn't a good idea.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.