The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: K-drill hard to remove from Milwaukee chuck  (Read 1295 times)

Offline danengebretson

• IceShanty Rookie
K-drill hard to remove from Milwaukee chuck
« on: Dec 18, 2022, 06:37 PM »
I use a 7.5 inch K-drill and Milwaukee M18 drill.  At the end of a day of fishing, I cannot remove the k-drill from the chuck without using a strap wrench.  I tighten the chuck simply by holding the chuck in my hand and running the drill in forward.  When I try to reverse the process (and run the drill in reverse) at the end of the day, the chuck will not loosen and release the drill.  I break out the rubber strap wrench and with some elbow grease, I can get it to release, but it is not easy.  Anyone else have a similar problem?  I've read somewere that some early M18 drills had bad chucks and I wonder if mine falls into that category.

Thanks for any input or advice.

Dan

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: K-drill hard to remove from Milwaukee chuck
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2022, 04:48 AM »
Be thankful that the chuck stays on and does not loosen up.  I have rounded off a couple of the hex shafts that the drill chuck attaches to, now keep two spares on hand.  I have had the same problem loosening the chuck on occasion, I use a big pair of channel locks (carefully).

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2022, 06:58 AM »
I seen folks tap the chuck lightly with a hammer ...also some lubricant may help after removal on the jaws .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:31 AM »
Drop or two of lube may help.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2022, 07:26 PM »
You can try a clean and lube. Take a small bore brush, maybe a tooth brush and clean out the inside of the chuck as best as you can with a solvent such as acetone. Then lube it up with some grease. Some kind of light machine grease would be best, but your normal automotive grease should be fine. I would rather have that than oil which will just drip off after a day.

If that doesn't work then consider replacing the chuck. You might even consider a keyed chuck, which are less convenient for work, but all around more bulletproof with things like this.
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.