Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Did I get a bad Nils auger?

(1/6) > >>

thomasthepikehunter:
I hate to be asking this, but I was super excited to finally own the rolls royce of auger, and I have to say I am a little disappointed. I bought the Nils UR600FC, which is a 6" auger, which folds in half. The idea is slick as snot, and that alone is amazing. Unfortunately I was less impressed with the actual drilling. Don't get me wrong, the thing drills fine, but it is not nearly as good as I had thought it would be. All these reviews talk about how there is no downward pressure with a Nils auger, all you do is turn the handles. Mine might cut like that eventually, but it would take a long time to go through. Instead I find it takes just a minor amount of pressure, same as my Mora auger. At that point it drills nice and smooth, just like my Mora auger. I didn't have a ton of ice to test it on, we only have 7 to 8" so far, but it drills through in a normal amount of time, definitely nothing crazy fast. Maybe 15 seconds to drill through 7" to 8" of ice. My Mora augers, 6" and 7" are both equally fast.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm dogging on Nils, but I want to know if what I have is normal. It's not too late for me to send this back for an exchange if mine is bad. Or if they really aren't any faster than a Mora, I guess that's fine. As I said, just the ability to fold in half is huge, I can't believe there aren't more augers like this on the market. I simply expected a bigger difference when this one was $180, and a Mora is just over $50.

RapShack:

--- Quote from: thomasthepikehunter on Dec 05, 2022, 08:29 PM --- As I said, just the ability to fold in half is huge, I can't believe there aren't more augers like this on the market.

--- End quote ---

Thunder Bay augers have folding offset handles, and at $60 a pop they are almost worth it just for the handle. 

bigfoot86:
Think you should look at the head for a defect possibly.  I’ve used the top flite strike master, eskimo bit, ion and more, nothing compares…fastest bit I ever had.  Something must not be right. Never even heard of an issue with a brand new nils bit.  Your the first.  Is there a possibility you dropped it by accident?  So odd. I own the nils convertible.

thomasthepikehunter:
The blade looks fine to me, not a scratch on it. Never dropped it. Opened the box, took it to the lake, never even took the blade guard off until I got there. It was clear solid ice, nothing dirty, and it was like this from hole one. I drilled maybe 20-30 holes yesterday. I've used a bunch of augers, but the only hand drills I can recall are the Mora (6", 7", and 8"), a Strikemaster Lazer (which honestly seems like a black Mora), and now this Nils. I'm sure I used some older style ones too. We played around with a spoon when we were kids, but it was never sharp.

thomasthepikehunter:

--- Quote from: RapShack on Dec 05, 2022, 09:05 PM ---Thunder Bay augers have folding offset handles, and at $60 a pop they are almost worth it just for the handle.

--- End quote ---

The only one I see is an auger with a handle that flips over. All Nils do that, and new Mora's all have removable handles. This folding nils is a full height auger with both handle and auger that folds up into package that could fit in a backpack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version