The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Tip Up Reccomendation  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Hemy1201

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip Up Reccomendation
« on: Nov 03, 2022, 09:28 PM »
Looking to upgrade my tip ups this winter. I usually fish larger inland lakes and the big waters which comes with windier conditions. I have been using traditional tip ups but the hole always ices up in between check ups. Thinking of upgrading to insulated/thermal tip ups. Any recommendations?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Tip Up Reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2022, 05:37 AM »
Use the search function for the make/model you are interested in...tons of past post with great information.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2022, 06:50 AM »
Unless you're totally sold on getting new ones, you could get those insulated hole covers for like 10 bucks each. I've been using them for quite a few years and they work great. Just a thought.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2022, 08:32 AM »
Buy covers. I've yet to use a insulated one that wasn't lacking in some way.

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2022, 08:56 AM »
Any hole cover will help, but I've had the best luck with the Finicky Fooler covers. They really insulate well if you pack some snow around the base.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2022, 10:01 AM »
Cabelas has a 3 pack of Beaver Dam covers for$15.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2022, 05:38 PM »
I'm a fan of the frabill orange hockey pucks. Holes never freeze over if ya pack da edges. They do have to be wound a certain way or false flags will occur quite a bit. There's also 2 tension release settings for the size/type fish being targeted & anything i can stack in a bucket is a big plus. I think i bought em' in 2 packs for 40.00 a few seasons back.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2022, 06:13 PM »
Im a beaver dam tipup fan with hole covers.ive had ht polars freeze up and id like to pass down my tipups thru family for many years.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2022, 04:54 AM »
I'm also a fan of the Finicky Fooler covers used with Beaverdam tip-ups.  The combo works well, albeit a bit pricey.

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2022, 01:48 PM »
I have some of the round cover-type tipups and they stay in my garage.  They don't seem to have as big a spool as the rest and I don't find that they trip all that well if the snow is really blowing around and covering up the tipups.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2022, 12:08 PM »
We started using the Ifishpro2.0 last year. I enjoyed it way more than hand lining fish!  Get a nice 40” Med/Med light spinning rod/reel to use with em. Fighting em on the rod is much more fun that the hand line!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2022, 01:32 PM »
We started using the Ifishpro2.0 last year. I enjoyed it way more than hand lining fish!  Get a nice 40” Med/Med light spinning rod/reel to use with em. Fighting em on the rod is much more fun that the hand line!

I dunno. I still get a thrill outa' hand lining 'em. Hand to hand combat. Man vs. beast. Old school stuff.  ;)

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:38 PM »
Another vote here for the foam covers - such as the Beaver Dam covers.

Everyone I fish with in WI runs Beaver Dam tip-ups. We have been using the round foam hole covers for ~20 years now. I use these covers on each hole every time I set a flag; some guys just use them on the exceptionally cold days. These covers are effective, light weight, easy to carry, and do not easily freeze to the ice.

A few of us tried building our own hole covers some years back (different combinations of Dow foam, plywood, and carpet). Nothing we came up was nearly as efficient nor effective as the round foam hole covers.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2022, 08:05 PM »

Everyone I fish with in WI runs Beaver Dam tip-ups. We have been using the round foam hole covers for ~20 years now. I use these covers on each hole every time I set a flag; some guys just use them on the exceptionally cold days. These covers are effective, light weight, easy to carry, and do not easily freeze to the ice.

A few of us tried building our own hole covers some years back (different combinations of Dow foam, plywood, and carpet). Nothing we came up was nearly as efficient nor effective as the round foam hole covers.

I actually made and still use covers that I made. 10"×1" round Styrofoam discs and felt that I got off Amazon. Still working great after 5 years.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2022, 08:12 PM »

How do you store them? How many lines per person in your state?  I wish I liked them but I've yet to see a good way to pack them and the rods which basically eliminated them as an option for me

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2022, 04:59 PM »
X2 for the I fish pros. For the same reason, I like fighting a fish with rod and reel vs hand lining.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2022, 05:16 PM »
Still a rush tosee a flag pop up.thats more of a rush than landing the fish to me.if i want to use tech i will jig panfish with my vex or garmin.i got to stay somewhat primitive out there.lol spearing pike is even better.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2022, 07:21 AM »
That's the beauty of the I fish pro. You still see the flag pop up. The bail is open on the reel. See the flag run over and close the bail, set the hook and fight the fish on your favorite ice fishing rod

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2022, 07:33 AM »
Still a rush tosee a flag pop up.thats more of a rush than landing the fish to me.if i want to use tech i will jig panfish with my vex or garmin.i got to stay somewhat primitive out there.lol spearing pike is even better.

Me too. Remember when Gun Lake was full of nice Muskie and Pike? The Muskie are gone and the Pike aren't as plentiful as they used to be. The Association pretty much calls the shots now. No more planting except Walleye, killing off the weeds, etc.  :'( Sorry to get off topic here.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2022, 08:46 AM »
How do you store them? How many lines per person in your state?  I wish I liked them but I've yet to see a good way to pack them and the rods which basically eliminated them as an option for me

I just keep them in my jet sled, during ice season, and during the offseason. They fold together and will stack on top of each other nicely. We can fish 3 lines per person. Usually when we go pike fishing, that’s what we’re there for and what we dedicate our whole day to, so usually we’ll have 3-12 lines out with pike bait. Give me a shot sometime, they are a bit more pricey than your standard tip up, but I’ve got a cheap 40” Ice Blue Med rod that works very good with the pros

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2022, 08:55 AM »

Best!!
Catching Any?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.