The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Time to replace ion gen1  (Read 1451 times)

Offline fishingaddiction

• IceShanty Rookie
Time to replace ion gen1
« on: Nov 02, 2022, 05:58 PM »
So I've had an ion gen 1 for about 4 years now. When the original bit got bent from reopening holes in thick ice, I replaced it with an R1 bit. Near the end of last season, the black ring on the bottom of the bit cracked and broke off. Problems I've had with the auger included the bent and broken bits, bad ice build up on the bits in cold weather, and a burned out charger. I love in northern Minnesota. January and February ice can mean greater than 30 inches of ice and-40 Temps. I fish hard. I realize that I'm pushing the limits of an electric auger around here. But, the electric is nice in so many ways,  so I'm sticking with another electric. I have no interest in going the cordless drill route. I have it narrowed down to a strikemaster 40 or the new ion gen3 alpha. The new ion sounds great, but the brand's past performance was less than great for me.  For anyone that has bought the new gen 3 alpha, does the bit construction seem greatly improved? Should I just move over to the strikemaster? It has a solid reputation. Any comparisons from others that have tried both or recently purchased the new alpha gen 3. Mostly, I think I need a tougher bit. Is the strikemaster bit tougher than the old ions?

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Time to replace ion gen1
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2022, 03:34 PM »
Can’t speak to the alpha, last year I bought a sm and a g2. I sold the strikemaster. Much prefer the g2 with the composite flyte. They can all fail… I know of a few sm that burned out in the ice here in Manitoba and further north. The alpha looks like it adopted features of the sm with the blade and handle change.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Time to replace ion gen1
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2022, 09:58 PM »
The ION Gen3 has variable throttle. That alone sets them apart from all the others, until it becomes standard. Half tempted to sell my Gen2 to get one. BTW, the bit on my Gen2 is fine, along with the battery and charger.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.