Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Early jiffy ice auger

(1/2) > >>

Sebagofrye:
I have a 50 year old jiffy ice auger that will fire a couple of times but will not start  I replaced the fuel pump diaphragm no change  replaced the carburetor with a new one no change other than the engine will kick back once in a while and pull the starter rope right out of your hand (ouch). Replaced the points and condenser a few years ago. I’m out of ideas any suggestions this old girl has been in the family for many years and drilled many 3 foot holes and has always run well

DR.SPECKLER:
Check the flywheel key.if the cord rips out of your hand violently its probably a sheared flywheel key making it out of time and firing on the wrong stroke.i would definitely start there.was it running with the old carb?buy a oem Tecumseh carb?if not the cheap china carbs dont tune all that great.i also have a 50 year old jiffy and do small engine  mech work..

Sebagofrye:
I’ll check the key and points. I tried both rebuilding the fuel pump on the original carb. Also tried a cheap new carb. It had not run for about 10 years it was my dads. Was always fussy to start at 20 below but that’s to be expected. Any idea on the points gapping. Just took a swag at it when I changed the points and condenser a few years ago. This old girl cut many a 3 foot hole and I hate to part with it. BTW I have a pretty good bruise on my hand where it kicked back on me

Rebelss:
Set points at .017 to .018

DR.SPECKLER:
I just set all my points by a dollar bill its the right thickness or close enough lol.lol business card if bigger gap needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version