Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Amount of holes with a Ion

<< < (4/5) > >>

zcm_82:
80 holes in 20 inches of ice. Man, I'd only have to charge that thing about once every 2, maybe 3 years... 🤔 :roflmao:

One and done man, drill the hole, yank the fish 😁

FreshwaterPhil:

--- Quote from: zcm_82 on Jan 17, 2022, 04:35 PM ---80 holes in 20 inches of ice. Man, I'd only have to charge that thing about once every 2, maybe 3 years... 🤔 :roflmao:

One and done man, drill the hole, yank the fish 😁

--- End quote ---

Run and gun jigging with a flasher. I can't fish a hole for more than 5 to 10 minutes unless I'm setting a flag line.

zcm_82:
I suppose I'm very old school for my age. I sit on structure and wait for the fish.

A charge on a 4ah drill battery lasts me a bunch of trips. One of those Ions would last me an entire season, no problem. We rarely get ice over 10" thick. Only reason I went electric was I have bad shoulders, and they're getting worse with age. Hand drilling even 1 or 2 holes through 8-10 inches bothers them.

I'm still kicking around the idea of a SM or Ion dedicated unit if my drill I use with the Mora ever croaks.

eiderz:
I have the original Ion, no reverse, 3 ah batteries. I got it in the fall of 2013, this is season 9 with the original batteries. I have two batteries but have never used the second on any given day. I rotate between the two on each outing so they theoretically get about the same use. It's the only auger I use in CT since I got it, good years I fish about 50 days, lousy years only 10-15. I've changed the blades once, not because they needed it but because I had the spares.

I've never burned a battery all the way down. I have had them pause intermittently when they got cold in single digit and below F temps. Always keep the battery in the shanty or your pocket below 20 F. Most holes drilled is tough to quantify. As others mentioned, 30" of ice is more than twice the effort of 15" for the machine because of the slush load. What I know is that I've drilled over 20 holes in 30", and more than 50 in 8-10". Both are below the published performance but way more than I normally need with myself and two buddies. So my perspective is that although I never needed the second battery, it's nice to have it just in case. Be sure to charge after each use.

FreshwaterPhil:
I emailed Ion customer support regarding the batteries, he is what they have to say:

"The life of our batteries depend on the care from the user. If they are taken care of properly, they should have no problem lasting for at least 3-5 years. We did discontinue our 6 amp batteries, we have replaced them with our 4 amp batteries. Thank you!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version