Author Topic: Flame king refillable question  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Flame king refillable question
« on: Jan 01, 2022, 05:43 PM »
Last year I accidentally snapped off that little half moon plastic tab inside the flame king fill valve assembly. It is a fragile little piece.  At first I thought it was just a proprietary thing … lame attempt to prevent refilling the green bombs. Wondering now if that functions as part of the over fill protection or bleeder release when the bottle is full?   Anybody know for certain?

Tight lines!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Flame king refillable question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2022, 06:09 PM »
I cut mine off.its so you can only use fk bottles.i can now fill any prop bottle.i got sick of trying to line that plastic piece with the bottle.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2022, 11:00 AM »
It doesn't affect the filling if your using flame king refill tanks.

I broke mine off before I got the actual refills from them because I used to refill the disposable tanks.

the flame king refill tanks work just fine.

I fill mine up, close the vent screw when gas starts coming out (as per the instructions), then I close vent screw just let if fill up the rest of the way. I end up with close to 2lbs of propane per tank. I am not too concerned about pressure, the flame king tanks are pretty stout and I checked the release valve, there is not too much pressure in tank after filling it that way.

This is NOT the way you are instructed to refill the Flame King tanks so proceed at your own risk.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2022, 11:27 AM »
It doesn't affect the filling if your using flame king refill tanks.

I broke mine off before I got the actual refills from them because I used to refill the disposable tanks.

the flame king refill tanks work just fine.

I fill mine up, close the vent screw when gas starts coming out (as per the instructions), then I close vent screw just let if fill up the rest of the way. I end up with close to 2lbs of propane per tank. I am not too concerned about pressure, the flame king tanks are pretty stout and I checked the release valve, there is not too much pressure in tank after filling it that way.

This is NOT the way you are instructed to refill the Flame King tanks so proceed at your own risk.

Does your 2lbs include the weight of the tank, or is that the amount of propane?  I could see a few onces more, but double capacity seems like a lot based solely on volume limitations. 

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2022, 01:04 PM »
The ring is an o.e.m. fitting and can be removed.
To get max. fill in tanks, put them in the freezer overnight, the condensed air space in the can will allow you to top it of almost full.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2022, 01:18 PM »
Does your 2lbs include the weight of the tank, or is that the amount of propane?  I could see a few onces more, but double capacity seems like a lot based solely on volume limitations.

If I were to guess, it would be maybe 1.75lbs of propane. I can weigh one when I fill them up this season. I know its definitely not 2lbs of just propane. I get around 8-9 hrs out of a tank on low on my small buddy, with these, I get over 12hrs, enough to run heat me for a full trip and use the rest the next trip.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2022, 08:22 AM »
  I question your math .
a gallon of propane weights 4.24 pounds,a 1 pound cylinder holds a quarter gallon
maximum amount of propane in a one pounder  no matter how you slice it  is 1.06 pounds
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2022, 09:12 AM »
  I question your math .
a gallon of propane weights 4.24 pounds,a 1 pound cylinder holds a quarter gallon
maximum amount of propane in a one pounder  no matter how you slice it  is 1.06 pounds

If I remember correctly the FK tank empty 1.8 lbs ..after proper refilling  its 2.8 . I think I burned more propane this season then in the past 10 yrs combined . Since getting the FK refillable tanks I no longer worry about the use of propane. If I get cold crank up the heat in my Portable Buddy in my uninsulated two-man Frabill . One of the best investments I have made .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2022, 12:11 PM »
The side of my tanks say TW 1.4lbs, which is tare weight.  WC, weight at capacity, is 2.5lbs.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2022, 10:05 AM »
I completely agree. I love being able to not waste propane and not lug around a 1/4 tank. I have 4 cylinders and I just keep them topped off. I end up carrying less and wasting less.

If I remember correctly the FK tank empty 1.8 lbs ..after proper refilling  its 2.8 . I think I burned more propane this season then in the past 10 yrs combined . Since getting the FK refillable tanks I no longer worry about the use of propane. If I get cold crank up the heat in my Portable Buddy in my uninsulated two-man Frabill . One of the best investments I have made .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.