Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

New SM Lite-Flight owner

(1/4) > >>

dubob:
I transitioned through several different auger setups over the past 15 years from gas powered to drill powered.  Jiffy, NILS, K-Drill, and now Lite-Flight.  The K-Drill does a decent job, but tends to have issues with drill slowing down all to often.  My drill is a Milwaukee Fuel 2805 with 1,200 in-lbs of torque bought new in Feb 2019.  The Lite-Flight has a center point and replaceable blades and is lite in weight.  Should be a good match up with my drill.  I have 2 5ah batts, so I'm always good for drilling as many holes as I need to.

My questions are mainly about longevity and quality of the Lite-Flight auger itself.  I went with the Lite-Flight over the Eskimo Pistol because of the $50 difference in price (Lite-Flight was less).  Would like to know what y'all think of the Lite-Flight, good or bad.  There are trade offs for all of them.  I hope to gather all my gear together in a week or so as the temps are finally dipping below freezing here in Mormon Mecca.  Some early birds were up around 9000 feet last week walking on water.   ;D

Oh, forgot to mentioned.  Since I target panfish/small trout through the ice, all my augers have been 6".

hardwater diehard:
All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer/curved style blades or  ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option

Pros for StrikeMaster : composite flighting ..center point and its fast ..

Cons for the StrikeMaster :lazer blades and dirty ice dont mix .. lil pricey to replace.. steel shaft ..

Pro for the Eskimo . Mora blades . easier to find less pricey and can be hand sharpened with a minimal skill set ,,composite flight w/aluminum shaft center point on 8" model

Con s for the Eskimo : no center point for the 6" model

dubob:
Thank you Sir; good to know.  We don't get a lot of dirty ice in Utah, but they do in Wyoming where I may make a couple of trips each season.  Note to self - let somebody else drill your holes in Wyoming.   ;D

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: dubob on Nov 18, 2021, 04:09 PM ---Thank you Sir; good to know.  We don't get a lot of dirty ice in Utah, but they do in Wyoming where I may make a couple of trips each season.  Note to self - let somebody else drill your holes in Wyoming.   ;D

--- End quote ---

Or carry an extra set of Lazer blades also note the 8" pistol bit does have a center point .

Agronomist_at_IA:
Used one last year. Nice augers. A light flight is just a lazer with plastic flights and a center point. With the way the lazer grabs….or at least my 6in….they didn’t really need a center point. Should treat you good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version