Author Topic: Best way to haul large hub shanty  (Read 3864 times)

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best way to haul large hub shanty
« on: Sep 07, 2021, 02:07 AM »
Hey guys.  Gonna buy (most likely anyway) the Otter Vortex Resort soon.  I was looking at the folded dimension, and it says its 78"L.  Im just curious, for those that use a big hub style shanty like that, how do you carry it out on the ice, let alone hauling it behind a sled/ATV?  Because its 78"L, the only sled ive found that seems to accommodate that size would be the Otter Pro Sled Large, which is 84"L.  But that thing is gonna cost me like $400 after shipping, unless I can find one around here. 

Does anyone have an alternative idea?  Something that I also can haul/carry my auger, heater, rods, etc.?   Trying to plan ahead of time.  Been used to a flipover for years where I hauled everything inside that.

Thanks guys

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Best way to haul large hub shanty
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2021, 05:55 AM »
Im not sure how long my shappell 6500 or polarbird 4t are but my local farm and home store sells big  knockoff jet sleds called soroc sleds for 70$.it has slots to put wood runners in so gear can get loaded in the bottom and hub goes on top.holds a ton of gear.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2021, 07:17 AM »
I have the Otter lodge which is only a few inches shorter I believe. I strap it horizontally to the front of my ATV rack. I have the kolpin mounts on the front bars of the rack for my k-drill which kind of acts as a shelf to hold it in place. I use a ratchet strap to secure it to the rack. I even haul my ATV in the back of my truck with the hub shack attached to the front, the cab of my truck blocks the wind. This system has worked great for me so far.
Da Pack!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2021, 09:00 AM »
Last season got the Shappel XL ...added hyfax ...it haul my 949i ...use a Nite Ize tie to hold my Hub together (no bag) it fits in my Xterra ...also an oversized Smitty sled will work as well. Add an eyebolt and some chains to the sled and off you go . The Otter sleads are nice ..but are impossible to drag ..towing with a machine is the only way to move it with a load ..I have an Otter ...same size as the XL Shappell ...night and day between the two as far as hand dragging

https://www.amazon.com/Shappell-JSX-Jet-Sled-Extra-Large/dp/B003FBI83C/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=shappell+xl&qid=1631021537&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-64-in-Bright-Orange-Gear-Tie-Mega-Twist-Tie-GTM64-31-R6/313478933

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2021, 06:33 PM »
Appreciate the help guys.  Really the main thing im concerned with is getting a cover on it while i haul it on the ice.  If my shanty hangs over the side of the sled Im not sure id be able to cover it, which is why it seems like the Otter Pro Sled Large is the only one that would appear to fit that criteria.   78" does seem kinda long, but maybe it really is that long.  Wish it wasnt, then this wouldnt be an issue.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2021, 07:05 PM »
Appreciate the help guys.  Really the main thing im concerned with is getting a cover on it while i haul it on the ice.  If my shanty hangs over the side of the sled Im not sure id be able to cover it, which is why it seems like the Otter Pro Sled Large is the only one that would appear to fit that criteria.   78" does seem kinda long, but maybe it really is that long.  Wish it wasnt, then this wouldnt be an issue.

Seems like Otter is the biggest and only one to fit the length. Only other option is to track down a older 3 man ice shelter ..my Frabill 3 man Ranger Tri Plex is pretty big ..it'll be pricey ...but may be not as pricey as a new Otter with shipping ..may be you could even find one local . Good Luck .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2021, 07:16 PM »
Mine hangs out about a ft in my soroc sled but i kept my frabill commando cover as it fits over all my gear and hub.my sled has slots that fit 1x4 slats so the hub sits on top of all my other gear straight.i dont think you need a huge expensive sled to fit the hub completely in.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2021, 07:29 PM »
My Eskimo 450i is 70” long and I pull it on my jetsled - it hangs over and I have never had an issue.

I keep the opening facing away from the direction of travel and it works out well.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2021, 07:52 PM »
I just throw mine on a Smitty attach a jet sled to the back if needed

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2021, 08:57 PM »
Some good info, thanks guys.  I wouldnt mind it hanging over a little, I just would prefer to put a cover over it and Im not exactly sure itll fit with the hub hanging over.  I should look at my snowmobile and see if theres a way I could just strap it on that, then I could just get a smaller sled to haul all my other stuff.

Thank u guys for all your help.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2021, 07:42 AM »
I ended up buying the Otter Pro Sled (Large).  This thing is 85" long, which should have no problem fitting my new Otter Resort (78"L) and all my other gear.  I didnt want a gigantic sled, but im thinking that it may be my only option if I wanted to put a cover on.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2021, 08:38 AM »
TheLionsFan  good luck with your purchase .

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2021, 09:57 PM »
Got my new shanty delivered the other day.  Decided to measure it.   The box is 74" long, meaning (im assuming) the shanty is no longer than 74".  After all that, it looks like I didnt have to get the biggest Otter sled they make and could have went with something smaller.  Oh well, im sure the extra space wont hurt.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2021, 03:21 PM »
I haul my hub in my Jet Sled on a Smitty. I built "goalposts" out of 1.5" PVC. Bolted flanges in the bottom of sled at each end then set the goalposts in them. Goalpost crossbar sits about 15" from top of sled so I can put other gear under it. I also used eyebolts on each side of sled, front and back to attach bungees across hub for stability. Works great. If interested, I can take pics for you.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2021, 03:28 AM »
That sounds like a great idea!  If you are able to take a pic or two that would be awesome, but no rush for it neither.  Thanks!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2021, 04:15 AM »
That sounds like a great idea!  If you are able to take a pic or two that would be awesome, but no rush for it neither.  Thanks!!

Ok. Might take a day or 2.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2021, 01:06 PM »
I haul my hub in my Jet Sled on a Smitty. I built "goalposts" out of 1.5" PVC. Bolted flanges in the bottom of sled at each end then set the goalposts in them. Goalpost crossbar sits about 15" from top of sled so I can put other gear under it. I also used eyebolts on each side of sled, front and back to attach bungees across hub for stability. Works great. If interested, I can take pics for you.

That sounds awesome. I just got the Otter resort hub and it is massive so I think I'll do soemthing like you described. Id appreciate some pictures of that!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2021, 02:38 PM »

The only place I found the flanges (Table Cap style) was at PVC Parts Online...it is an odd size) Any questions? Ask away.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2021, 07:51 PM »
That looks great!  I appreciate you posting the pics!!

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:17 PM »
When I user a hub I built a rack system to hold the shanty and auger above the sled, allowing for 5 gallon buckets to fit underneath. I used 1/2" EMT conduit, it's very light yet durable. I welded the crossbars and feet together, otherwise it was just two bent pieces.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.