The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: How many batteries  (Read 2462 times)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
How many batteries
« on: Aug 26, 2021, 07:22 AM »
Ok quickly closing in on a Milwaukee 20v xr with an 8ah battery, $249 looks like a nice deal.
Question how many batteries does one need? Can I get by with one battery?
I typically fish  perch with 6 inch hole and then on doubling the holes when fishing lakers (2 side by side holes).
I head south in mid Feb avoiding the deep ice we occasionally get. A foot of early ice is common.
Thoughts?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: How many batteries
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2021, 07:53 AM »
One battery will be enough.i use a rigid with 9ah in up to a ft with a 8" auger and dont even use one bar on the battery.drilling 20ish holes.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:26 AM »
Ok quickly closing in on a Milwaukee 20v xr with an 8ah battery, $249 looks like a nice deal.
I typically fish  perch with 6 inch hole and then on doubling the holes when fishing lakers (2 side by side holes).
I head south in mid Feb avoiding the deep ice we occasionally get. A foot of early ice is common.
Thoughts?

The model numbers for Milwaukee that are battle tested are the 2803 and the 2804 both with 1200 in/lbs of torque .. but if you are going to be sticking with a 6 inch auger drill unit the below model 2902-22 will work as well.. it delivers 725 in LBS of torque..use code 276664   for 20 bucks off...this code should work for all below listed deals ...as of the writing of this post these prices are the best deal w/coupon. for my money the 2803-22 would be my bet ..just incase there will be an upgrade to an 8 inch auger drill unit. Dont forget Milwaukee make a ton of drills that are brushed ...not good for cordless drill set ups ..so the Model numbers matter

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200725803_200725803

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200715453_200715453

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200712404_200712404
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:26 AM »
Depends how many holes you drill. I bring 29ah worth of batteries (three 8ah and 1 5ah) with me. Generally I only go through 1-2 batteries in a morning, but on an all day grind I'll use up all 29ah. I drill a lot of holes though, I rarely start fishing before 20 or so holes are drilled if I'm familiar with the lake. I'm usually drilling through 16-24" of ice by January though too. If you fish out of a shack, one 8ah battery should be good.
Da Pack!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Thoughts?

Milwaukee dosent make an XR drill...Dewalt makes an XR  ...do you have a link ..MODEL NUMBERS MATTER

These are the makes/models that have been battle tested and meet the specifications

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:46 AM »
Man, I'm starting to think you might use drill websites as a substitute for p*rnhub :roflmao:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2021, 09:09 AM »
Lol

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2021, 12:37 PM »
Thoughts?

I use the 5ah batteries on an 8" lite flite, I've drilled over 20 holes in 12" of ice and never ran the battery out, not even sure if it was half way down. I plan on using this setup up to around 18-20 inches of ice, then ill pull out the 40v beast that is vacationing in my basement.

Ice thickness and blade sharpness play a large role in battery life.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2021, 12:49 PM »
I carry three 4 amps. 2 came with the drill and 1 with my lawn edger. Everything fits in the bag so why not. I've had batteries go to crap "just like that" in the past. Not taking any chances.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2021, 09:26 PM »
I dont know what drill you are looking at, sounds like a dewalt.. as milwaukees are 18V.

I have a m18 fuel with 6" lazer and its a lot of drilling to wear down a 5ah. I've never counted but most days I dont even burn one 5ah. The only time I counted was when I put my 8" bit on it and got 39 holes in a foot of ice with one 5ah.. so it's reasonable to think double that for 6".

My buddy has a 12ah on his and we never killed it in a day last year, he would always tell me it recharged in a half hour that night. Some days we literally drilled 150+ holes, although we only got to about a foot to 15" of ice last year. On first ice we would drill 50-75 holes and not even have it come off of "full" charge. I personally do not like the weight of the 12ah, which is why I run 5ah batteries... I'm guessing the xr 8ah dewalt are similar in weight.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2021, 11:39 AM »
I carry one 9 ah and one 6 ah with my rigid octane k drill setup.
I've never needed the 6ah.
Then again last time I went out I drilled four holes for a whole day's fishing and I fished out of just one all day.
My fishing buddy fished out of one of the other holes and then moved over to the one next to me and that's all he needed either.
I caught 50 fish with several of them being of decent size so I didn't feel the need to go and drill a bunch more.
How many holes you typically drill in a day and your ice thickness will determine how many batteries you need.
Plenty of YouTube videos out there showing how the different drills work and how many holes they get out of them with various augers.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2022, 07:28 AM »
Man, I'm starting to think you might use drill websites as a substitute for p*rnhub :roflmao:

LOL, almost spit my coffee up on this one!  Good detailed information though, joking aside.

I live in an area that doesn’t get a whole lot of ice and on the worst winters we ‘might’ get ~10” at best.  So when I purchased batteries for my dewalt 991 I got a deal on two 4 amp batteries.  Was thinking I should’ve waited for 5 amps to go on sale but to be honest, I never had to go to my second battery yet.  Now it’s only a 6” nils auger its turning which helps out but I’m guessing I could get about 40-50 holes out the one 4 amp in about a foot of ice.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2022, 07:56 AM »
LOL, almost spit my coffee up on this one!  Good detailed information though, joking aside.

I keep that list handy ..lots of drills combos to choose from ..and alot of misinformation I'm sure that list has helped many IS members as well as the lookie loos ..My journey into the cordless set  up was riddled with misteps ..I would hate to see anyone go through any portion of that..sure there are some other makes/models of drills ..but some have yet to be battle tested ...there are also some one offs ..which may work for some tip up guys 5 holes and done . But the above drills can continuously drill a entire shallow flat for a days worth of panfish chasing without worries.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:08 AM »
I keep that list handy ..lots of drills combos to choose from ..and alot of misinformation I'm sure that list has helped many IS members as well as the lookie loos ..My journey into the cordless set  up was riddled with misteps ..I would hate to see anyone go through any portion of that..sure there are some other makes/models of drills ..but some have yet to be battle tested ...there are also some one offs ..which may work for some tip up guys 5 holes and done . But the above drills can continuously drill a entire shallow flat for a days worth of panfish chasing without worries.

Spot on.  Definitely an awesome reputation behind those models of drills you listed in this sport for this application.  Very useful information for those pondering about cordless setups.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2022, 09:48 AM »
At the very least carry 2, just cause one may go  bad for what ever reason.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.