Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Issue with Strikemaster 40V

<< < (2/6) > >>

TheLionsFan:

--- Quote from: esox_xtm on Feb 12, 2021, 01:14 PM ---Are you leaning on your auger? At all? I don't have the 40v SM but run a MKE Mud Mixer and if I add pressure to the auger it will cut out. Stop dead. Plenty of battery, sharp blades, etc., etc., etc.

I wasn't even doing it consciously. it just cut so well it felt like it could handle anything and I was unconsciously forcing. Once I backed off I could cut  tons of holes, in the bitter cold, without stopping, no problem. It really took a concerted effort from me to stop leaning on the drill.

Got nothing to lose on this one. Maybe it's that simple. As an aside, my buddy just got a 40v SM and the two times we were out he drilled all the holes (new toy syndrome) with no issues.

--- End quote ---

I’ve tried both ways, no difference.

What gets me is u can go on YouTube and watch numerous “auger wars” between the SM 40V and the Ion, and they race, just pushing through the ice to see how fast they can drill.  Or they try to see how many holes they can drill in a matter of time.  Not a single issue for them.  They constantly say in the reviews that this auger will eat anything u throw at it.  I don’t understand why my brand new auger has to be so absolute perfectly drilled to get a single hole to fish.  Yet these YouTube guys are giving that auger hell and it eats through any ice it’s pushed through.

I by no means am doubting any theories on this, I just have a hard time believing that there isn’t something wrong with it.

I wish I had a ditch or something out back that I could test it with.

Kevin23:
That almost sounds like a battery/power issue to me. You should call strikemaster customer service, it is probably not anything you are doing wrong.

TheLionsFan:

--- Quote from: Kevin23 on Feb 12, 2021, 01:34 PM ---That almost sounds like a battery/power issue to me. You should call strikemaster customer service, it is probably not anything you are doing wrong.

--- End quote ---

That’s kind of what I was thinking as well, because the way it acts is almost like the second it hits any more resistance it just stops, like it can’t handle it.  It never just slows down, it goes from full speed to stop.

Buckshots:
90 % of 24v/40v auger issues are dull blades. SM will have you send it in on their dime, as soon as you replace the blades and the problem still persist. It is possible to get bad blades out of the box. Slap new blades on it like SM recommended and then they will gladly take care of you.

TheLionsFan:

--- Quote from: Buckshots on Feb 12, 2021, 02:09 PM ---90 % of 24v/40v auger issues are dull blades. SM will have you send it in on their dime, as soon as you replace the blades and the problem still persist. It is possible to get bad blades out of the box. Slap new blades on it like SM recommended and then they will gladly take care of you.

--- End quote ---

If dull blades are really the issue, then there’s a serious issue with them producing an auger that needs brand new blades every time they see light.  These blades I have on now are scary sharp.  At this rate, I might as well change the blades every trip I go.  A brand spanking new auger should go through the ice without hesitation.  Especially for the price tag.  I’ve drilled holes with full blades before and although it took a little more work, it still drilled it.  This auger has razor sharp blades and stalls.

I appreciate all the help guys.  Sorry to vent about this, but I never thought this auger was gonna require so many particular things to be right just to drill a hole.  Especially considering the awesome reviews this thing has.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version