Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Issue with Strikemaster 40V

(1/5) > >>

TheLionsFan:
Hi there,

I posted this in a different thread but thought Iíd make a topic on it.

I bought a Strikemaster 40V a couple months ago and Iím loving every bit of it. Except this: EVERY hole I drill, the auger stalls out with an inch or 2 to go.  Stall outs then beeps a couple times.  It feels like I hit a rock.  I have to reverse it and try again, in which most times it stalls again.  Usually have to repeat this process 3 times PER HOLE.  This happened a couple weeks ago, thought it was because I was re-drilling holes, but after last weeks trip and last nights trip, every hole did the same.  This is very irritating and honestly, I did not spend over $500 to have to go up and down in one hole 5 times.  Especially on 5Ē of ice!  From all the reviews, this thing is supposed to go through the ice like butter.  Not mine.

I contacted Strikemaster and theyíre asking me about the blades.  Are they tight?  Are they sharp? Any dings?   Everything checked out fine.  The blades look like abs feel like theyíre new out of the box.

Has anyone else had this issue?  I did take a recommendation from someone on here about going slow and letting the weight of the auger do the work, but it still stalled out.

I really hate to spend more money and go for an iON, but man...   such great reviews but Iím only experiencing frustration.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help u may have.

Buckshots:
Lazer blades can look fine and still be very sharp even when they arenít. They have to be perfect to drill correctly. You could of easily damaged them by hitting some dirty ice or even just some sand/dirt that blew across the lake. That last layer of ice to punch through is the hardest and freshest ice there ice. It is hard for the blades to cut through if they arenít perfect. I would replace the blades. If the problem persist, you will know it wasnít the blades and have a backup set, which is a good thing to have.

TheLionsFan:

--- Quote from: Buckshots on Feb 12, 2021, 12:58 PM ---Lazer blades can look fine and still be very sharp even when they arenít. They have to be perfect to drill correctly. You could of easily damaged them by hitting some dirty ice or even just some sand/dirt that blew across the lake. That last layer of ice to punch through is the hardest and freshest ice there ice. It is hard for the blades to cut through if they arenít perfect. I would replace the blades. If the problem persist, you will know it wasnít the blades and have a backup set, which is a good thing to have.

--- End quote ---

Although this totally makes sense, the auger blades were never exposed until the first time I drilled a hole. The protector has been on the entire time.  Whatís weird is the auger drills through the ice very good, until that last bit.

esox_xtm:
Are you leaning on your auger? At all? I don't have the 40v SM but run a MKE Mud Mixer and if I add pressure to the auger it will cut out. Stop dead. Plenty of battery, sharp blades, etc., etc., etc.

I wasn't even doing it consciously. it just cut so well it felt like it could handle anything and I was unconsciously forcing. Once I backed off I could cut  tons of holes, in the bitter cold, without stopping, no problem. It really took a concerted effort from me to stop leaning on the drill.

Got nothing to lose on this one. Maybe it's that simple. As an aside, my buddy just got a 40v SM and the two times we were out he drilled all the holes (new toy syndrome) with no issues.

DR.SPECKLER:
Ive used  the 40v on numerous times  with no issues.cuts smooth and no stopping it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version