Michigan > Ice Fishing Michigan

Auger Blade Sharpening

(1/3) > >>

Oceantoad1:
Do you buy replacement blades and have back ups with you? or, do you sharpen your blades with a hand held sharpener?  If you sharpen by hand, what tool works for you?

SpartySturg:
There is a specific one for StrikeMaster augers.  It cost about $7 and are blue.
Keeps blades sharp and they last a lot longer.
Just a few swipes on each blade and they are sharp again.
I only have StrikeMaster augers so I can only speak of those.

Doeslayer:
Ive never sharpened my jiffy and my eskimo hand auger is still on original blades.... My eskimo is 6 years old and still cuts like new... Trick is babyi g your blades.... Dont bang em on the ice and bend your edge... If taken care of properly the ice will keep your blades sharp as can be

scout 2:

--- Quote from: Doeslayer on Jan 24, 2021, 08:13 AM ---Ive never sharpened my jiffy and my eskimo hand auger is still on original blades.... My eskimo is 6 years old and still cuts like new... Trick is babyi g your blades.... Dont bang em on the ice and bend your edge... If taken care of properly the ice will keep your blades sharp as can be

--- End quote ---
All true but if you fish a lake when the wind is blowing hard there is a lot of sand in th eice. I had that several years ago on Lake Missaukee. I bought an exta set and sent my blades and a spoon or an auger to a sharpening place in GR. They came back in about 3 days and you could shave with them. I use the spoon auger until the ice gets thick enough for the power auger. Much lighter to carry

Rebelss:
Never seen where ice keeps blades sharp, but oil, stone and light hone after each use will. Razor sharp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version