The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake 2021  (Read 19436 times)

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gull Lake 2021
« Reply #60 on: Feb 03, 2021, 05:10 PM »
Haven't marked much out here yet.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2021, 10:47 PM »
Fished in separate shanties tonight w/ my brother per Gubner Gretchies orders. Sounded like he was kicking my tail while we were fishing. Didnt even count my fish till I got up to shore. He had 56 & when I got done counting, I had the same #  ;D. + 1 nice Perch. Makes sense, we were both using identical Smelt rigs ! Lots of guys out tonight,including Bob. He was the guy sitting on the ice ,south of everyone else. He got out there about 8:00p.m. & @ 9:30p.m. he had about 100 on the ice, I seen them ! The guy catches fish !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 04, 2021, 06:27 AM »
Yeah I started getting consistent marks shortly after I posted that.  I think I kind of screwed myself I only had heavy halis with me last night that I used to use when the fish were bigger / the bite was harder.  I was having a real hard time feeling the super light bites.  Ended up with a few, will have to go to store today and get some lighter halis.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 05, 2021, 04:34 PM »
North side happening yet?

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 05, 2021, 06:43 PM »
Couple cars in the north end lot.  I didn't stop.  Guys are fishing baseline.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 06, 2021, 09:31 AM »
Smelt jr. & me just checked Baseline rd., roughly 2- 2 1/2" of ice. Yes it looks like there was about 6-8 parties out last night. Picked up lots of trash & found a 22 1/2" pike that was left on the ice. Slushy mess 1st. 75 yds. & bad ice to the left 1st.50 yds. going out. Spud went thru several spots w/ 2 wacks.Cant honestly tell ya that its safe enough yet. Too many "Iffy" spots.  2 more days & it will be fine. Dont know about the north end boat launch. Have not got my pass yet, but I would be very careful w/ the creek up there. Also,still a fair amount of open water farther down the lake, but that should lock up in the next 2 days. We ended up w/ around 4"-5" of snow here.2nd. bay is still producing, even though the fish are small, the ice is good.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 06, 2021, 02:13 PM »
Thanks for the ice report man.  I was just out driving by last night.  I went to 3 lakes for a while to test out my new shanty.

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 07, 2021, 06:50 AM »
I ditched the hali last night and caught around 60.  Bite was super light and a buddy sight fished them about 8 foot down.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:28 AM »
Have fished Baseline rd. the past few nights,fishing has been slow for me, 17,46,76. Guys are getting out quite a ways But I have not ventured out that far & dont know how the ice is or how they are doing. Still some open water farther down the lake.

Offline Bassslayer87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 09, 2021, 11:27 AM »
How much ice was at baseline smeltbuster? And how far out did you go?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 09, 2021, 12:06 PM »
3" plus about 3-4" of frozen slush. The North end as of last night is still unsafe. With the lake being down, Smelt jr. told me that the creek flow is going right toward the docks. Shore ice was good but about 15' out it is very thin. He thinks another day or 2 & it might be good. Use Caution !

Offline fishin4smelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 09, 2021, 12:23 PM »
Fished the 2nd Bay on the south side last night. Ended up with 122, quit at 10:00 as the bite slowed way down. Smelt ran a little bigger last night, not sure why...Tim

Offline Bassslayer87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 09, 2021, 12:45 PM »
Where is the best safest place to park on the south end to keep from getting towed?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 09, 2021, 11:45 PM »
Where is the best safest place to park on the south end to keep from getting towed?
The salon on the west side of 2nd. bay. Studio III is the name if you google it. You need to park across the street in front of the wood retainer wall. Access to the lake is available by going down the NORTH side of the building & past the gate at the boat ramp. You will have no problems if you follow the rules. Hey Fishin4smelt, I was wondering if you were still down there. From what I am seeing at Baseline.............. ...... Heck, I'll call ya tomorrow ! EDIT 73 smelt for me tonight @ baseline rd. . The north end is still not safe, Smelt jr. checked it Tues.(2/9) at about 4:30 p.m. The creek flow is really messing things up. Keep ya posted on that one. It appears that the entire lake is now LOCKED UP ! We just need to find those big smelt.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:49 AM »
Fished Baseline last night & shared my shanty w/ "Smeltman" for a few hours. 1st. time we have actually  fished together. We have known each other for several years & spent hours talking but never fished together. It was a good time.I ended the night w/ 118 smelt. Best night for me yet ,this year. They were still biting when I left.I will have Smelt jr. check the north end on the way out tonight. Most of the slush seems to be freezing & there is about 3"-4" of good ice. No machines running the lake yet,but pretty sure that will change in a  day or 2. BTW,the smelt are still on the small side,dont know what happened to all the big ones.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 11, 2021, 06:05 PM »
Glad to see you guys getting out.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline Bassslayer87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:27 PM »
Heading out to baseline tomorrow night. Will post how we do.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 11, 2021, 10:13 PM »
Thank you Smeltbuster for your hospitality Wednesday night. It was an honor to fish with you. We will have to do it again soon... It was great to make my first trip down this year, Little rusty though. Next time i WILL be on my game.  ;D.

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 12, 2021, 11:10 AM »
Where’s the closest place to buy minnows? I heard there’s a bait shop on the south end of the lake?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 12, 2021, 11:17 AM »
Where’s the closest place to buy minnows? I heard there’s a bait shop on the south end of the lake?
There is no bait shop on the south end. The closest place is Ken's Sport shop in Delton.I think the address is 126 E. Orchard st. , its about 5 miles north of Gull.

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 12, 2021, 11:19 AM »
There is no bait shop on the south end. The closest place is Ken's Sport shop in Delton.I think the address is 126 E. Orchard st. , its about 5 miles north of Gull.

Thanks! That doesn't sound too far away.

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 12, 2021, 01:55 PM »
Either Ken's in Delton or the place in Galesburg on the main drag. Depending on where you're coming from, one might be on the way.

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #82 on: Feb 12, 2021, 02:10 PM »
Or the hardware store in Plainwell if coming from the west.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline fobbitcrusher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 12, 2021, 04:47 PM »
Does anyone have an ice report for the north end?
I occupied Nations, not streets.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 12, 2021, 05:51 PM »
Ace hardware in plainwell michigan. They have a decent selection of bait, crappie minnows and tip up minnows. Also some big sucker minnows once in a while. I was impressed at the selection of gear they had. Hope this helps.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 12, 2021, 10:52 PM »
Does anyone have an ice report for the north end?
As of Thursday it was still "Iffy", but I did see a guy walk out from there tonight. I would proceed w/ caution & use a spud. The creek flow seems to be different this year because the lake is down. Be Careful. I will try to have Smelt jr. check it Sat. morning. Lots of guys out from Baseline rd. tonight. I tried to get away from the crowd, ended up w/ 90.

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 13, 2021, 09:27 AM »
If anyone was walking off the lake on Baseline last night and wondering what idiot left his lights on, that was me...😖
Nothing like getting back to a dead battery at 11:30!!! 😂 And to whomever you were that gave me a jump after you came off the ice, thanks again if you’re on here!! I definitely appreciate it!

Offline Bassslayer87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 13, 2021, 10:57 AM »
I saw the lights on!! And I was thinking man that LED will drain that battery fast. Glad someone was there to give you a jump. We ended with 74 between me and my brother last night. Was his first time out and took him a bit to get the knack of it for hooking them.

Offline dutch3376

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 13, 2021, 02:38 PM »
I saw the lights on!! And I was thinking man that LED will drain that battery fast. Glad someone was there to give you a jump. We ended with 74 between me and my brother last night. Was his first time out and took him a bit to get the knack of it for hooking them.

The amazing thing is, it lasted 6 hrs until i came off the ice and walked up and hit the door unlock button. Almost as if it did it just to spite me. I mustve accidentally hit the toggle when i was getting out....🤦🏻

Offline Bassslayer87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 13, 2021, 09:05 PM »
Tonight was tough for us! Only ended with 5 lol and 1 nice perch. Saw alot of people on the north end tonight when we left.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.