Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Bought the new 24v Lithium StrikeMaster the other day

<< < (2/22) > >>

DR.SPECKLER:

--- Quote from: Buckshots on Jan 01, 2021, 10:55 AM ---I just used mine yesterday for the first time. Wind was blowing snow across the lake pretty good. I removed the battery, and went inside my shanty. Came out a few hours later and the snow was on the auger. There are holes in the top where you can see the electric part of it. Will this ruin the auger? My gas auger I could always leave sitting outside.

--- End quote ---
i doubt it will wreck it.my drill has holes around it too and ive left it the freezing rain and snow every time i was out.probably made to be out in the elements.

zcm_82:
Very cool. I still just use a hand auger to keep my rig light, but if my shoulders ever get to where I can't (had to back off from an 8" to a 7" Lazer for that reason last year) this seems like a really good option. Lightweight, and plenty of juice for me. I rarely drill over 3 or 4 holes in a day, and our ice rarely gets over 8-10" thick around here. Seems like a slick little light-duty power auger for people who don't want to go with a drill setup, imo.

Van Noord:

--- Quote from: RyanW on Jan 01, 2021, 10:52 AM ---I was checking one out a few weeks ago. They are very light and feel quality in the hands. But man, those numbers seem low to me unless you never fish any ice thicker than a foot. 20” of ice would cut the number of holes in half to ~7 and that’s on 1/4 of the battery. I understand you have an Ion for heavier work but a 2-dozen hole day doesn’t seem like much “runnin and gunnin” to me. I assumed these 24volts were in direct response to the boom in drill augers the past few years but I don’t see me giving up my drill setup anytime soon for a dedicated electric auger. However, I do see the 24v being a great option for the guys who have short seasons with thin ice that want to punch a bunch of holes quickly. Having said that, if I weren’t already invested in Milwaukee’s lineup, I’d really consider the 24v and an extra battery. It’s hard to beat the year round modularity of a drill setup though.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t fished on ice over 24” in about a decade. It usually maxes out at around ~20” around me. I’m curious to know the total number of holes you get at your current ice thickness!  :tipup:

--- End quote ---
Yes we will see! I'm thinking/hoping one of the 3 battery bars will hang there longer than the others. I know my 2nd battery bar on my IonX does that...lasts much longer than the 1st and last bars.
Personally, I have no use for a cordless drill year round. I dont do any home repair or construction. I also don't like the body and arm positioning required to use a drill. I find it uncomfortable and awkwardly fatiguing on the shoulder and neck areas.
I plan on putting the 24v through some real paces this season. I'm even going to see how it does through 3-4ft of ice with an extension. Should be fun and interesting!

Buckshots:

--- Quote from: Van Noord on Jan 02, 2021, 11:14 PM ---Yes we will see! I'm thinking/hoping one of the 3 battery bars will hang there longer than the others. I know my 2nd battery bar on my IonX does that...lasts much longer than the 1st and last bars.
Personally, I have no use for a cordless drill year round. I dont do any home repair or construction. I also don't like the body and arm positioning required to use a drill. I find it uncomfortable and awkwardly fatiguing on the shoulder and neck areas.
I plan on putting the 24v through some real paces this season. I'm even going to see how it does through 3-4ft of ice with an extension. Should be fun and interesting!

--- End quote ---
I am interested to see just how many holes this auger will do. They claim 50 holes on 16”. That’s 800” of ice. I’m betting it’s more like 600”. Am curious to see your results. I do t have a spare battery yet or I’d find out for myself.

Van Noord:
Alright I fished today from dawn until noon and managed to kill the first battery with a total hole count of 28 through both 12" and 13" of ice for a total of 364" of ice.
Combine that with the 15 holes of 11" of ice at 180" that's only a total of 544" of total ice cut per charge.

Not sure how I feel about that but I did expect more. Especially considering our ice is going to be getting much thicker which will reduce the whole count per charge... But I do have two batteries at least. I'll use my other brand new battery next, and see how many holes I get with that one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version