Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Bought the new 24v Lithium StrikeMaster the other day

<< < (21/22) > >>

Van Noord:
Took the auger out on some late ice, even though it was still 24" thick LOL.

Drilled a bunch of holes, the Greenworks battery died first and underperformed a bit. But I had two more with me and barely used half of another.

Going to need some blade sharpening done in time for next year.

But the 14lbs that this auger is sure makes it nice when pulling around a sled on a small lake.

I probably have a few more outings left this season.

fishsluggos:

--- Quote from: Van Noord on Feb 24, 2021, 06:51 AM ---Well our -40C cold snap finally ended here last week so I've been fishing every day since last Friday with the 24v.

I'm finding the auger definitely bucks more due to its lightweight and the lazer blades can catch at the bottom of the hole once in a while causing a bit of a rough breakthrough.

The Greenworks battery doesn't do as well in cold temperatures as the StrikeMaster battery.
Initially I wasn't counting inches or holes with the Greenworks battery because of the cold.
I drove nearly 2 hours north of here when it was -30C and the battery didn't too well in the cold weather or sitting in an insulated bag in my cold truck after cutting a handful of holes through 31" of ice.

But yesterday I did 21 holes through 26" of ice...so again right around the 545" mark. Not too happy with those numbers but with four batteries on hand and my style of fishing, it shouldn't be a problem.

--- End quote ---

I know this an old post but I have read the entire thread as I am considering purchasing the Strikemaster Lithium 24v Auger 8". 

Very good information across the board.  Especially about LIon battery technology.

Regarding your point, "the battery didn't too well in the cold weather or sitting in an insulated bag in my cold truck"/ I am wonder if storing the battery in an insulated bag with chemical hand warmers would be safe and help.

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: fishsluggos on Sep 29, 2021, 04:34 PM ---I know this an old post but I have read the entire thread as I am considering purchasing the Strikemaster Lithium 24v Auger 8". 

Very good information across the board.  Especially about LIon battery technology.

Regarding your point, "the battery didn't too well in the cold weather or sitting in an insulated bag in my cold truck"/ I am wonder if storing the battery in an insulated bag with chemical hand warmers would be safe and help.

--- End quote ---

Although I dont have issues with my Milwaukee Lithium battery for my auger set up  in my area ..if I were concerned I would use an insulated lunch bag/small collapsible cooler and a rechargeable hand warmer..set on low or medium. I would also not keep the battery in a  frigid truck/ATV/outside over night.

Buckshots:
I’ve kept my battery warm and inside my hoodie pocket under my ice suit. Doesn’t matter. Still struggles to get through 500” of ice. They need to make some bigger batteries for it. The 5 amp batteries just isn’t enough.

Van Noord:
I was also worried the 24 volt batteries wouldn't be enough which is why I have four of them.

My batteries are kept in an insulated Ion battery bag which is then kept inside a small hard lunch cooler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version